A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Hello
New BEEK here
I purchased a new package 3 weeks ago and they have built so much comb filled with honey and brood that I am itching to put in another brood box
But I know they are all going to die soon
Should I add a box?

First of all, do not be pessimistic. Let us assume they know what they are doing.

Do you have a deep brood box or shallow?
Have you removed the outside frames and inspected them yet?
If the outside edge frames are full then Yes, I would add another brood box.
if you have a super on, then... I do not know.
I like to let them build up brood in two boxes before we add the supers.
The stronger the hive the better. Then there are more foragers to collect nectar and you can pull honey before it is cold, leaving them with food to survive winter,

There are some more experienced bee people on here than, I am sure they will chime in soon.

c12c538ba3f7113e84c1169753a3f843.jpg

Hey everyone! I just installed a package of Russians into my beautiful topbar hive. My boyfriend built the hive from scratch as a Christmas present. I installed a hive last year and they absconded after 3 days. This package has made it to day 3 and they still look happy inside. I have even noticed some little ladies flying in with baskets full of pollen. I hope that is a good sign that they are comfortable and happy. I made the stupid mistake of not looking to see if the queen was alive in her cage before putting her into the hive. I dropped her cage into the box by accident and had to fish her out. I uncorked her and in all of the commotion, I forgot to check to see if she was alive and healthy. Oops. Beginners mistakes.

My questions: How much sugar water should i be giving them? I setup the hive to hold 3 pints and they have almost finished them after 3 days. This was a package so they had no stores or even comb to start off with. How quickly will Russians begin to lay eggs? How soon should I check on the hive?

Hey everyone! I just installed a package of Russians into my beautiful topbar hive. My boyfriend built the hive from scratch as a Christmas present. I installed a hive last year and they absconded after 3 days. This package has made it to day 3 and they still look happy inside. I have even noticed some little ladies flying in with baskets full of pollen. I hope that is a good sign that they are comfortable and happy. I made the stupid mistake of not looking to see if the queen was alive in her cage before putting her into the hive. I dropped her cage into the box by accident and had to fish her out. I uncorked her and in all of the commotion, I forgot to check to see if she was alive and healthy. Oops. Beginners mistakes.

My questions: How much sugar water should i be giving them? I setup the hive to hold 3 pints and they have almost finished them after 3 days. This was a package so they had no stores or even comb to start off with. How quickly will Russians begin to lay eggs? How soon should I check on the hive?
My husband and daughter have a top bar hive. @OEF5 top bar questions you my be able to help with.

Not for just a top bar, but in the spring for a new package, feed them until they are not taking it anymore as quickly. If the nectar flow in your area is really going you and give a little less sugar water so they bring in more, in the dead of summer if they are still growing keep feeding. The goal of a new package of bees is to get them enough stores, and strong enough to make it through the winter.

Ok the two hives we harvested are doing great. They are now one and a half months in the langstroth boxes 10 frames. We have not added the second deep box yet as they are still growing ( we harvested the hives from an abandoned trailer that the owners were going to tare down and kill the bee's ) I am a new bee enthusiasts . I have been doing research sense November. It took some convinceing for my husband to agree.

So far the owners of the trailer have not removed the trailer so I decided sense there where 5 separate hives in it I would try to catch them as they swarm. So I put up 2 langstroth deep boxes separate up on top of the trailer on opiset sides and have cought 2 swarms . This has been the coolest adventure thus far on the homestead. I have learned so much and still feel like I don't know anything lol. But it is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom