A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Happy New Year.
How was everyone's harvest this/last year. How are the hives now that it's officially cold about everywhere. I'm currently working 600 mls south of home and saw bees 2 wks ago. Now it's sleeting and the camper water is froze.

Hi and Happy New Year from me too.

It was about 8C here yesterday and very calm. so all 8 of my hives showed a little activity.... mostly cleansing flights and foraging for water. One of the hives has dysentery which I think may be due to Ivy honey..... we got a mild autumn and there was quite a heavy flow of it. I've seen it before and it has cleared up on it's own so I am hopeful they will make it. I allow my bees to swarm at will so they don't produce much surplus honey. I tend to harvest every 2nd or 3rd year depending on how they are doing. I collect the swarms and give them to people to get started in beekeeping. My bees are approaching 8 years untreated for varroa now partly as a result of this policy. I got about 30lbs of honey this year but I leave them all honey to over winter on and hardly ever need to feed them and if I do, it's just a couple of pints of syrup to help a weak colony set up for winter.

I'm interested...i'll be watching this thread.
smile.png

OH,,,, Im in!!

I was just thinking today 'how do I start bees'?

Ditto! But will try and get a relative to do it for me. Still remember having honeybee sting me up my nose when had to breath...

Tree's are finally blooming in North East OK, and seeing some bee's on it. Now that it's warming some more into the 70's it comes with a 30+mph wind. So not much bee activity at those speeds.

Hi everyone! I know this is a thread that spans quite a bit of time. If you were to order a hive or two that requires assembly what company would you order from? We are pretty handy and have some time before the nuc pick up date I am eyeing. Thinking bees will make a lovely 10th anniversary girf to the hubby!

I got my hives from Brushy Mt. Bee Farm. Their is different prices everywhere. I got some stuff from Lappe's that was much cheaper. Not the hive starter kits or other hive boxes.

I built my swarm traps with unassembled frames from Brushy Mountain.
They're not hard (building frames or boxes) but time consuming.

I don't have any pics right now so I will try and "tell".
I just measured my boxes 8 frame med's and made them a little wider to hold 10 frames. I had scrap ( 1x's or plywood I can't remember) that was several inches wider than my boxes height. I didn't rip them down because I wanted it bigger/taller than a med. That size is supposed to be better. (I still haven't caught a swarm) The ends are about 1/2 shorter than the sides to make a lip to hold the frames without routering or tricky table saw work.

I put 2x4 handles on the end that covered the 1/2 end pieces and cut them at a slight angle to make the handle have a little more lip. The angle on the inside and bottom. I made the top out of plywood big enough to cover over the handles and 2" out the front. Left the back flush. I put a 1x4 (about 3' long) with a hole in the top to hang on a limb.
If you cut a limb close to the tree you can slide the 1x4 over it, then strap it or not to the tree.

I also put out a random box that was very durable and the right size even though it won't hold a frame.
It just happens to be the right square space that they may like it and I'll do a cut out if they do.
Got started late last year. Started 3wks ago this year so I should have much better success.

Back
Top Bottom