A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Quote:
Hey McGoo,

thank you for your help. My worry at this point is that I already ordered bees but I have a funny feeling the guy is trying to rip me off. First the bees became more expensive overnight, now he calls me and tells me that my shipping cost will be an additional $71 but that he would gladly refund me.
rant.gif
I believe he may have oversold and I don't know if I should cut my losses and hope for a swarm to find us or to go ahead and get the bees and hope that they don'y fly away as that would make me really angry. I am working with a local bee keeper and he does not have any bees for sale at the moment.

Quote:
1) The deal with plastic foundation is that it needs to be wax coated for them to draw it out. If not enough beeswax is covering foundation they can be picky about drawing it out. Some bees don't care either way. I use waxed black Pierco in my honey supers with no problems. Wax sheets are best & they are making frames now that have a slit at the top where you can simply drop a sheet right in!

2) Sounds like you have a neighbor that keeps bees? Legally, once bees leave a hive, (such as with a swarm) they belong to the person who catches them but it is always nice to perhaps mention to the neighboring bee keeper your intentions. If you have a good bit of bees in your area and they are not being intensely managed you have a very good chance of catching a swarm in a bait hive that has attractant such as lemongrass oil, a piece of old comb or commercial pheromone. I use a touch of lemongrass oil on a cotton ball placed inside a medicine vial (small hole in cap) along with a piece of old comb to lure swarms. No, its not a terrible thing to do.

3) It may help if he will planting a good bit, but they just may go down the street to your neighbor's property. The more you plant the better though.

...JP

Quote:
1) The deal with plastic foundation is that it needs to be wax coated for them to draw it out. If not enough beeswax is covering foundation they can be picky about drawing it out. Some bees don't care either way. I use waxed black Pierco in my honey supers with no problems. Wax sheets are best & they are making frames now that have a slit at the top where you can simply drop a sheet right in!

2) Sounds like you have a neighbor that keeps bees? Legally, once bees leave a hive, (such as with a swarm) they belong to the person who catches them but it is always nice to perhaps mention to the neighboring bee keeper your intentions. If you have a good bit of bees in your area and they are not being intensely managed you have a very good chance of catching a swarm in a bait hive that has attractant such as lemongrass oil, a piece of old comb or commercial pheromone. I use a touch of lemongrass oil on a cotton ball placed inside a medicine vial (small hole in cap) along with a piece of old comb to lure swarms. No, its not a terrible thing to do.

3) It may help if he will planting a good bit, but they just may go down the street to your neighbor's property. The more you plant the better though.

...JP

Thank you so much JP. Yes, the frames are Pierco plastic covered in beeswax. Whether that is enough may only be found out through trial and error I guess. Our neighbor has a good 50 acres of blueberries and he ships bees to pollenate every year. There is also a large piece of land between us, about 20 acres. I will see what he plans on doing. I love the idea with the lemon grass oil, will definately look into it. I ordered the crim wire foundations so I will try and go with one hive having the crimp wire and one having the Pierco plastic frames. Mine are white. I heard that the plastic ones are much easier to work with and they just easily pop out of the frames which is great. I am looking forward to learn more as I go. I'll go and tell my husband to plant A LOT of clover. I will keep you up to date. Thank you again for all your help!

Great advice JP33. I've also heard that lemongrass oil is an excellent bee attractor - but what are the chances of a swarm moving in - honestly. That said someone always wins the lottery
gig.gif
without trying it'll never happen. All the best whatever way to go.

Quote:
Actually we caught 2 of our own swarms last April using swarm lure made with lemongrass oil and other ingredients and a nuc on a ladder as a bait hive. One swarm went directly from the old hive to the bait hive and the other had landed in a tree for several hours before going to the bait hive.

P1090812cropped.jpg

P1090810.jpg

How to get bees....

Post an ad on Craigslist under free

As in free bee swarm removal.

Make sure you list things like, only in trees less than 6' off the ground etc.

Quote:
Quote from Avalon: "Our neighbor has a good 50 acres of blueberries and he ships bees to pollenate every year."

What I said "If you have a good bit of bees in your area and they are not being intensely managed you have a very good chance of catching a swarm in a bait hive that has attractant such as lemongrass oil, a piece of old comb or commercial pheromone."

Sgtmom "we caught 2 of our own swarms last April using swarm lure made with lemongrass oil and other ingredients and a nuc on a ladder as a bait hive."

You don't know until you try.

...JP

Quote:
Quote from Avalon: "Our neighbor has a good 50 acres of blueberries and he ships bees to pollenate every year."

What I said "If you have a good bit of bees in your area and they are not being intensely managed you have a very good chance of catching a swarm in a bait hive that has attractant such as lemongrass oil, a piece of old comb or commercial pheromone."

Sgtmom "we caught 2 of our own swarms last April using swarm lure made with lemongrass oil and other ingredients and a nuc on a ladder as a bait hive."

You don't know until you try.

...JP

I will certainly give it a try and see how it goes! Thank you JP!

Back
Top Bottom