A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Quote:
Actually, bees do quite well in nucs because it follows how they would build up in a tree, narrow and up. If you start a 10 frame hive, you will find the bees will build out the middle quickly, but frequently won't touch the outside most frames before deciding to do something dumb, like swarm. We wind up moving the outer most frames in our 10 frame hives into the center every so often, so they actually get used. The only thing is, make sure you protect the nuc in the winter, as being in Michigan, I am thinking you actually have a decent winter.

barnie.gif
One of our hives swarmed yesterday afternoon. It is now about 40' up in a tree ~ far too high to go after it. We put out a bait hive with swarm lure and hope they find and like it.

I had bees last year that died over the winter because I put up a wind surround (I live in the mouth of a canyon) that kept them in the shade too much. I loved them to death. I worked them allll the time with no protection. If I was really going to be pulling a lot of frames or doing major things I would wear a hood. No problems at all. It was wonderful.

This year I got two packages because I LOVE having bees. I am not afraid, the honey is wonderful and they make me feel good.

We installed our first (four pound) package with no problems mid-April. We installed our second package with no problems. I was not in protective gear because that was how I did it last year and things were fine.

After the packages were installed and we were standing apart from the hive about 10 feet away. There were quite a few girls flying around after installing both packages but things were fairly mellow. Then BANG! there was a bee IN MY NOSE. I had a few bees landing here and there through the process but I wasn't ever bothered by them but then I got stung in my nose. It was maddening.

The next time was about 10 days later. We were checking on the hives and again, I didn't wear gear because they didn't really have much to protect and even though it was a 10 frame, medium box, they hadn't had much time to get protective.

I checked the first hive to make sure the queen was released and things were good (it had been wicked cold) closed it up no problem. Pulled the second hive and checked it and it was fine. Closed it up and they started getting a little hot. I put the hive back together and started walking away and BOOM, stung in the nose. No problems with any looky loo's around my face, just a straight shot to the nose. Bizarre.

Today I was working my friend's hives. He is out of the country and I am checking on his hives. He has about nine hives so I wore my hood and my husband was with me wearing a jacket with full hood. The first four hives were okay. We smoked them, confirmed larvae on two of the new hives, added a box and frames to the other new hive.

The problem started on the fourth hive we opened. It was already five boxes and he was worried it was going to swarm while he was out of town so he wanted a box added. We opened the hive and the bees were not overly thick in the boxes but they were just NOT friendly bees. We had the additional box ready to add but before we could get it on there a bee got inside my hood and WENT STRAIGHT FOR MY NOSE. My husband was wearing the zip jacket/hood combo and he was being bombarded but he was safe. I pulled my hood off, snorted out the bee (I am becoming an expert) and we left the hive to cool down while we cooled down too. I was followed by several girls, one got me on my hand and we waited 10 minutes for the hive to settle. We suited back up, put the hive back together with the new box and left.

I have never had a problem before but now there are bees that LOVE MY NOSE.

I don't eat bananas before we work the hives. I brush my teeth, I am showered and clean but not with perfumed body washes (I have sensitive skin)

I have not had this problem the whole last year and I almost never wore gear. Shorts and tshirts were fine.

Now, THEY LOVE MY NOSE.

Why? Should I suck on lemon drops while I work my bees?

I am kind of getting freaked out, which is also not good.

Anyone have a nose thang going on?

Surprising Woman,
Today I was working a friend's hive, and I didn't have my hood on, because I wanted to see if there were eggs and brood. I find it very hard to see details through the hood. Quite a surprise, perhaps as much to her as to me - a bee went up my nose! I snorted her out and she bit me on the upper lip - better than inside my nose, I thought.
But it was worth it - I saw eggs, lots of larvae and capped brood. What a great sight!

You guys are soooo brave! or silly ? Anyway unless I'm just doing a quick check, I'm geared up. I love my bees and we do converse quite a bit, but when I'm in their house I dress for the occassion
lau.gif
Maybe I'm a coward, but I don't want themup my nose.
gig.gif
ouch, that must hurt.
ps. Mine are doing great. just installed a few weeks back and they've already got brood, drone brood and even some honey. I was amazed. The hive is a top bar and it had great comb from last year which I left for the new bees (old ones died last winter- very sad)

A Question for the more experienced beeks:

Is there a minimal size that bees find acceptable in the TB design?

I live in an area that rarely sees less than 30 degree nights and was wondering.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Quote:
This is a picture from a demonstration my Beekeeping club did at a Garden Center this weekend. Our club president brought a "mini 8 frame hive" (he pulled 8 frames from a full hive at his Apiary) and was opening it inside a screen room to show people how it is done. He did use some smoke, but no protective gear, which surprised a lot of people. We think the bees were actually rather calm and stayed close to the hive as most were probably "house bees" and not forager or guard bees.

Hive_Demo.jpg

hugs.gif
Sorry to hear about your Top Bar Hive. Sometimes horizontal (Kenyan style) Top Bar Hives don't overwinter as well as Langstroth Hives as they are more open inside and don't retain heat as well. They were designed for tropical areas.

Well, we worked the bees on Monday and I wore my veil but this time I tucked it into my shirt.

I also sucked on cinnamon disc candies (the sacrifices we make!
wink.png
) and things were fine.

If I am breathing out some banana smelling CO2 the cinnamon seemed to mask it because the bees were mellow, mellow.

I am going for a full check up with my doctor and I will mention during my annual to see if there is some medical something making me smell odd to my bees.

I feel better now that I have seen my bees act like they "used" to. I would love to be able to work my bees like I used to but not for a long time, if ever. At least they are enjoyable again.

Thanks,
Brenda

Is there a minimal size that bees find acceptable in the TB design?

I think 4' is fairly standard but I've heard of people doing 3' hives. People do bait hive that are smaller than 3' but I don't think you'd want to do a permanent hive that small as it would be much too crowded. Other more experienced people can weight in but that's my 2 cents
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom