A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I always found a bee brush just angered the bees and they would cling to stuff more tightly. I always used a small puff of smoke to get the bees to move. Like if they are sitting on the edge of a super and I want to put a lid down or add another super, so I don't squash any.

I always found a bee brush just angered the bees and they would cling to stuff more tightly. I always used a small puff of smoke to get the bees to move. Like if they are sitting on the edge of a super and I want to put a lid down or add another super, so I don't squash any.
I think, like a lot of things, it's technique. bees don't like being caught in the brush bristles... it does make them mad. when I first started using it I was too soft and tentative - smoothing and scooching the bees gently along. a little soft short--stroke flick works better for me - low force, but quick on the speed. of course, the less you touch them, the less likely you are to damage them, so I use smoke more than the brush, but sometimes the brush helps move along some bees that just don't want to go.

I would like to add one more thing which is not necessary but makes hive inspection so much easier for me. It's called a frame holder and hooks onto the side of the hive box while you are doing a hive inspection. I find it much easier to manipulate frames if I hang one or two on the holder first.

I would like to add one more thing which is not necessary but makes hive inspection so much easier for me. It's called a frame holder and hooks onto the side of the hive box while you are doing a hive inspection. I find it much easier to manipulate frames if I hang one or two on the holder first.
Yes I just saw that last night in the book I'm reading (The Backyard Beekeeper) and it looks really handy!

Last edited:

Yes ~ frame holders are very handy. Make sure you get the one piece one as the 2 piece ones tend to separate allowing your frame to drop to the ground making the bees unhappy.

Well my bees have been in for a week so I did my first inspection today.

Lighting the smoker

Feeding

Removing the queen cage

Inspecting the frame

Is the queen at the bottom where they are clumping? I forgot my knife so I didn't remove the rubber band but I figured I can get it next week.

Lighting the smoker

Feeding

Removing the queen cage

Inspecting the frame

Is the queen at the bottom where they are clumping? I forgot my knife so I didn't remove the rubber band but I figured I can get it next week.

Nice!!!
thumbsup.gif
What size is your hive?

Looks good! The queen is most likely on the frame where there is some drawn comb. You always want to hold the frame over the hive while checking so if the queen would happen to accidentally fall off, she would drop back into the hive, not on the ground. Get in the habit of laying your top cover on the ground top side down beside or behind the hive & put the inner cover on top. When you have a second deep or supers to remove, stack them on top of the cover. This keeps them in order, helps keep ground debris from sticking to the wax & propolis on them and prevents the queen from dropping out if is in one of those boxes. Remember which is the front of the boxes and put them back the same direction you took them off.
Just a point to consider, when working a hive you should stand to the side or back of the hive, never in front. You don't want to be in the "flight path" of the bees when they are coming and going. Once your hive builds up there may be a lot of bees bouncing off of you if you are in front of the hive. Also ~ what time of day are you checking in these photos. I notice that the hive is in full shade. Hives do best with sun ~ morning to mid afternoon is the best especially in the northern states. The entrance should be facing south to south east if possible.

Lighting the smoker

Feeding

Removing the queen cage

Inspecting the frame

Nice!!!
thumbsup.gif
What size is your hive?
It is a 10 frame.

Looks good! The queen is most likely on the frame where there is some drawn comb. You always want to hold the frame over the hive while checking so if the queen would happen to accidentally fall off, she would drop back into the hive, not on the ground. Get in the habit of laying your top cover on the ground top side down beside or behind the hive & put the inner cover on top. When you have a second deep or supers to remove, stack them on top of the cover. This keeps them in order, helps keep ground debris from sticking to the wax & propolis on them and prevents the queen from dropping out if is in one of those boxes. Remember which is the front of the boxes and put them back the same direction you took them off.
Just a point to consider, when working a hive you should stand to the side or back of the hive, never in front. You don't want to be in the "flight path" of the bees when they are coming and going. Once your hive builds up there may be a lot of bees bouncing off of you if you are in front of the hive. Also ~ what time of day are you checking in these photos. I notice that the hive is in full shade. Hives do best with sun ~ morning to mid afternoon is the best especially in the northern states. The entrance should be facing south to south east if possible.
Thanks for the great advice Julie! These pictures were taken in early evening - around 6:30PM. The entrance does face south, so it does have full sun all morning until mid afternoon. I put it on the east side of the metal shed because the prevailing winds here come from the west.

Thanks for sharing your inspection!

You'll eventually develop a good set of 'queen eyes', the ability to spot the queen even if she isn't marked. It can be tricky, seeing her amongst drones and clusters of workers. But one you find her, she'll be as clear as day!

Back
Top Bottom