A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Sparrows are like avian cockroaches. Don't forget fowl pox. We had a horrible run of pox the end of this summer. The mosquitoes were so bad, even hiding in the nest boxes during the heat of the day only to come out at night to attack the chickens. Of course the virus is carried by the wild birds, and the sparrows are everywhere. I ended up cutting fresh lemon grass and putting in the nest boxes, coop and run several times a week to help repel the mosquitoes. Still trying to plug every hole the sparrows can squeeze through.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Sorry for my ignorance but what is chicken pox?

3. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Fowl pox is a virus carried by wild birds and passed to domestic birds via mosquitoes. There is a wet and a dry version of this disease, luckily mine got the milder dry form. It's usually worse toward the end of summer when the mosquitoes tend to be worse. There are many threads here on fowl pox if you want to read up on it.

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    From what I understand they often get used to wearing it. Then they start crowing again.

5. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I just never equated tiny birds being vicious to survive. Even Hummies will dive-bomb you if they think you don't belong in the area! Thank goodness our Hummies know we bring out the syrup feeders for their Spring and Fall migrations. They will hover at the back door scolding us to refill their empty syrup and then follow us to the shepherd's hook while we hang the new feeder. I suppose Hummies can carry diseases too but at least they don't eat the expensive chicken feed or water like the dam* Sparrows.

6. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    If they start crowing again just adjust the tightness of the velcro around the neck again.

7. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    They do crow with the collar on, its just diminished in volume. So instead of 100 decibels it's 60.

8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Yeah i kinda think that too. But so far his decibels or less. However the neighbor said he us waking up their boy's in the morning. So now he's going into a very tiny cage to sleep in at night and then I will let him out in the morning.in

10. ChickCrazed

ChickCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    I just wanted to share a couple pics of my Bielies! The poor Rooster has a bit of frostbite from our latest stretch of -20 degree weather!

I am also looking to track down some of the fabled "second line" from GFF if anyone knows where to get some. I'd prefer chicks but would do eggs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by