A Bielefelder Thread !

I received some information and pictures on the German standard and we have some work to do. This picture is not as clear as I would like because it is a picture of a picture but you can still see the body lines, angles, and frame work of this rooster clearly. I have seen a lot of triangular shaped roosters and the standard clearly says they should not be shown. They are missing the arch of the deep chest. The colors do not stand out as well in this picture but the Germans breed for Tri color and also note the Comb. The Comb in this picture for the standard is a lot fuller and arching than what I've seen. And tails should be at an obtuse angle instead of flowing and arching out of the back. Would love to see some pictures of Roosters that have this correct body type, color, and comb. Hopefully more to come and a big thank you to our new friend in Germany.

please do not be discouraged, this bird is from Norbert Nagel a real big name in show, with artikels in news papers and such. in an interview he told the journalist that he raises min. 200 chickens every year, showing max 20 birds and in a good years he has 3 birds that earn a V, that is for vorzüglich or excellent, the best rating in a show. ... and he breeds since 1986 his big beauties,
So if you have scraped together all your money and now have five chickens that do not look like this, do not be disappointed. you still have beautiful birds that can be used for breeding. Remember that even a top-breeder with super-great parent-birds every year has 199 birds that do not look like this.
Promote the breed, tell other chicken people why you love your birds, sure color, head and body lines are something to love but a breed is always more.

Yes tg
please do not be discouraged, this bird is from Norbert Nagel a real big name in show, with artikels in news papers and such. in an interview he told the journalist that he raises min. 200 chickens every year, showing max 20 birds and in a  good years he has 3 birds that earn a V, that is for vorzüglich or excellent, the best rating in a show. ... and he breeds since 1986 his big beauties, 
So if you have scraped together all your money and now have five chickens that do not look like this, do not be disappointed. you still have beautiful birds that can be used for breeding. Remember that even a top-breeder with super-great parent-birds every year has 199 birds that do not look like this.
Promote the breed, tell other chicken people why you love your birds, sure color, head and body lines are something to love but a breed is always more. 
thank you and you are so right I enjoy all my birds and understand that it's a difficult road to get to standard of perfection.but that is not discouraging at all, actually you have encouraged me greatly by giving me some breeding goals I did not have thank you very much!!

How ironic! I took these photos this morning to ask about form.
smile.png

So the cockerel below with the concave sweep is not what we want. Is this correct?

The flat back on this V bird is what we want? Minus the long sickle feathers with white in them and sprigs on the comb.

I'll try to translate the color-part of the artikle later today. Luckly a big part is about the new silver birds, so it is not as much as it looked like and as you found out via the photos it's about the tri color and the vivid contrasts in the birds. Something that makes the birds very attractive in real life. The big red face with the yellow beak, the yellow feet and the redish wing-feathers... this is really nice to see motion.

Something else to keep in my is the standard should always promote good health. If you breed for the deep chest it should else with breath issues. If you breed for the correct frame it should help to evenly distribute the heavy weight of the Bielfelder. Correct comb helps in colder climates etc. there areany health benefits in the standard.

please do not be discouraged, this bird is from Norbert Nagel a real big name in show, with artikels in news papers and such. in an interview he told the journalist that he raises min. 200 chickens every year, showing max 20 birds and in a good years he has 3 birds that earn a V, that is for vorzüglich or excellent, the best rating in a show. ... and he breeds since 1986 his big beauties,

Outstanding advice! It's too easy to put undue pressure on ourselves for not raising "perfect" birds. This breed really is simply wonderful, and I'm grateful to have them as part of my flock.

How ironic! I took these photos this morning to ask about form. :) So the cockerel below with the concave sweep is not what we want. Is this correct? The flat back on this V bird is what we want? Minus the long sickle feathers with white in them and sprigs on the comb.
yes Cody you are correct. Does the bottom Rooster have sprigs on his Comb?

here is a picture of the standard hen in Germany. You may not be able to tell in this picture but this hens back and wing colors are a shade of brown instead of the charcoal and silver I'm used to seeing. I have 4 hens that are colored like this one and thought they were to light but that is not the case. Also notice the tail angle. I have seen some hens that do not angle up at all and I've seen some that slightly angle down.

this is a picture of a silver Bielefelder hen from the German standard. I have never seen one of these in real life has anyone else seen one? Something else the standard hen should have is large egg size and production.

Back
Top Bottom