A Bielefelder Thread !

lol! My Dad said your chicks are a product of a menage a trois!

I have noticed that my 2 Biele hens don't like the heat. They were panting when it was in the low 90s. We haven't had a gradual increase in temp. Just a fast hike up for a few days, and now it is in the 60s. DH is going to put a thermostatically controlled fan in the coop to protect his little darlings. I thought that Arizona had dry heat, and why is it so hot do early?

Thankfully it is still very arid here with humidity at less than 10% in the daytime, but June is a terrible month as the heat cranks up to over 100 and the humidity begins to move in prior to the start of monsoons, but without the relief of any rain. I actually installed two portable A/C units in my chicken cabin where my Biels are housed in the hopes of keeping them alive. This weekend we're expected to break some heat records and may top 112 by Sunday.
hmm.png

Thankfully it is still very arid here with humidity at less than 10% in the daytime, but June is a terrible month as the heat cranks up to over 100 and the humidity begins to move in prior to the start of monsoons, but without the relief of any rain. I actually installed two portable A/C units in my chicken cabin where my Biels are housed in the hopes of keeping them alive. This weekend we're expected to break some heat records and may top 112 by Sunday.
hmm.png
barnie.gif
Wow! I didn't realize about the humidity, or about "monsoons." My parents came here from India in 1956 when I was 10 months old - mom was a grad student at Juilliard. Was a citizen by age 10 and American as Apple Pie
smile.png
. I didn't realize about the monsoon weather in Arizona!

Hopefully you and your Biels and you will get through the heat without too many problems. Now going to research Arizona weather!
fl.gif

barnie.gif
Wow! I didn't realize about the humidity, or about "monsoons." My parents came here from India in 1956 when I was 10 months old - mom was a grad student at Juilliard. Was a citizen by age 10 and American as Apple Pie
smile.png
. I didn't realize about the monsoon weather in Arizona!

Hopefully you and your Biels and you will get through the heat without too many problems. Now going to research Arizona weather!
fl.gif

As bad as it can be here in the summer, you simply can't beat AZ weather the rest of the year. While the rest of the country is buried in ice, snow and cold in November - February, we're walking around in flip flops and enjoying 80 degree days, which is just about perfect in this dry climate.
cool.png

Well, I lost my absolute favorite hen, my Bielefelder girl named Gretel, to heat stroke today. We went to dinner with some family, and when we got home rigor had already set in. I'm feeling like a pretty awful chicken mommy right now.
hit.gif

Well, I lost my absolute favorite hen, my Bielefelder girl named Gretel, to heat stroke today. We went to dinner with some family, and when we got home rigor had already set in. I'm feeling like a pretty awful chicken mommy right now.
hit.gif

hugs.gif
So sad to hear this news. You are a wonderful chicken mommy. Just the fact that you feel this so deeply proves it. You have a/c in their coop, I don't know what else you could have done. I'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom