A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    :
    Thank you, I like to sell and treat people like I like to be treated. Thanks too everyone who has posted thier shipping experience. I might not always meet my expectations but I strive to do my best. Everyone has been very helpful thanks again.
    My bielefelders are 7 1/2 months old their colbs are red now when do they start laying. It seems like forever. :he Pam

2. VistaSRJ

VistaSRJ Out Of The Brooder

My Bielefelders started laying at 6-7 months. A bit sporadic for the first couple months, but very steady egg production by 9 months old.

3. treefarmer42

treefarmer42 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a few pics of my new Bielefelder coop. Still need to finish the outside run before Winter. This building was a green house that's why we had to paint the poly siding so our Biels won't be cooked.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  4. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Treefarmer42, here is a few pic's of 13 Bielefelder pullets and 4 Roo;s around 8 - 10 weeks old
    that I picked up Monday, and had to build a brand new coop to house them in. The Bielefelders are beautiful birds. Now I didn't go spend a $1000.00 on them, but they were not cheap either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. treefarmer42

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    Nice coop and good looking birds. I am happy to hear you did not spend $1,000.00 on Biels that won't lay for another 4-6 months. When they do begin to lay I'll take 10 hens and 2 roosters for $1,000 cash or silver bars if you would like. I would like to know what you did pay for the 13 pullets and the 4 males. Even though I only have sold eggs and chicks for the past 20 years I'm always looking to learn as much as possible about the trade.

6. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Now you know I cant share the price I paid, but I will say that to me it was a good deal. But I would rather buy juveniles and overwinter them than buy POL hens, for the price difference.

7. treefarmer42

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    RWD,
    I knew you won't tell so I'll tell you how much they are worth. This time though I will not waste my time explaining and showing the math. You could not understand the value difference between juv. and 1.5 yr. old birds so here goes.. 13 hens-4 roosters at the age of 8 weeks are worth $202.00. You did purchased them at the right time of the season. 1 out of 2 is not bad. If you played baseball you would be headed to the Hall of Fame. [​IMG]

8. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    They sell for $35 a pair around here from hatch to about 6 weeks. I figure pullets are worth $20-25 of that so here that math would not work.

9. treefarmer42

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    So then what your saying is 13 hens and 4 roosters of 8 week of age is approx. $365.00 plus a bag of chick starter at $20. So your math or value is approx. $350-$400.
    Thank you DMRippy I'm finally getting to hear from people that value their Biels for the rare, valuable bird they are. I valued, my math for the 13 hens and 4 roosters by calculating my egg price plus starter feed to grow 8 week old chicks. That is the ONLY reason I could value the price at $202.00. Which is the only plausible, cheap value that is possible.

10. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I find this so interesting. No one has them in my state That I know of. Mine aren't laying yet and i'm trying to figure a price for them. The prices talked about on the low end is what I can get for CCL's their is one person besides me who sells them in my state but they aren't in my area. I would think I could get more money for them than the CCL's. Thanks for the education. Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by