A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MsRiderUp

MsRiderUp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Canton, Georgia
    I know this is an old thread, but do you have pics of your Biefelder x Isbar cross? Sounds interesting.

2. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Does anyone have any pairs or trios for sale.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010

4. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Mine shoul be laying any day. In the future I could help you. Most have eggs for sale a few have just had chicks but I don't know if they are for sale ajuvinle pair or trio is even harder to find.

5. speedy2020

Jul 24, 2010
    I still have 1 pullet and 4 cockerels 2 months old. Hopefully, the pullet survive this winter and predator. She won't be laying any egg until March or April.
    I do have 4 CL young hens and 7 roosters. They are 6 months old during Thanks Giving week. I am pretty disappoint the growth rate of the CL. They are small and have little to no meat so 5 of roosters will go for soup pot soon. The plus side is none of them crowing, which make the neigbors happy.

6. Ron Skekel

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I'm lucky my neighbors don't care. Your talking legbars? That wouldn't be a choice I'd pick for meat. The eggs get full size in time.my Biefeleders are7 months with red Combs. Still waiting for that first egg. The rooster would be a good size for meat at this age but I'm breeding once the eggs come.

7. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    Spring is actually perfect - we're in Central VA, but have bees and in-laws in Gainesville...could use that as an excuse to make a trip. Also the flock will be down to a reasonable number.

It would also be interesting to see if your Biele x Isbar project is a good replacement for my Legbars. I like the CL, but they aren't going to provide much in the way of meat.

8. speedy2020

Jul 24, 2010
    CL=Cream Legbar. I move them to a dog kennel tonight due to cold and windy weather. It is getting pretty cold, but still better than some states with snow.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. Ron Skekel

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I have this breed too. They started laying a month ago. Pam

10. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    My bielefelders are all new to laying. We have never had a problem with newly laying hens laying in the nest boxes, but the bieles must be stubborn. 3 of them are building nests out of the coop floor shavings and laying under the best boxes. One layed in the outdoor coop.

I've got golf balls in the boxes andmy other 4 hens lay in the boxes. I have been trying to out the bieles in the boxes to show them where to go. I don't think they care. lol

Anyone else have this issue? They seem to be fabulous layers so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by