A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Welcome Dull Hoe Farm.....Agree with every observation you have made about Bielefelders. Where are you located ?

2. Dull Hoe Farm

Dull Hoe Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    I am in Tennessee near the Georgia end of the State. I am building my flock now but have about a dozen baby Bielefelder roosters for sale locally. Before long I'll have hatching eggs listed on eBay.

3. elizmartin

elizmartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    N.W. Washington
    HI, its always good to have some kind of alliance….Some thoughts, not everyone belongs to facebook and would be left out of alot if that is the only route to information. Maybe keeping it loose for awhile, if there is a few someones that have the time and inclination to be information keepers so those interested can maybe be on a list of who has, what parentage info available, simple contact info, state, if willing to sell, ship etc….make it available to help spread the wonderfulness of this breed…..

I too love the breed but currently do not have any.( which is why i hang here :) )….but have watched other groups and their growing pains….clubs can become exclusionary, not the best when something is new and small…often swaying to one opinion or another…..

My Love, Salmon Faverolles, are very similar in temperament and all that has been said above….I do have other misc breeds around and the one thing i would hope to foster in my Favs…..is a better sense of self preservation……many of mine will not explore that high perch for safety or be very aggressive in free range to make a living so to speak, or be watchful or quick in escape or aggressive enough when danger approaches…all things i value with my Rosecomb Anconas, (who temperament has been wonderful and my Roos have been docile and accepting, but they are an egg more than dual breed).

Just thoughts…Best to You All

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. RWD

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Do you know if yours are from the 2011 or 2013 imports by Greenfire Farms? Just filled my incubator with 40 and will fill another incubator with 42 eggs before I start selling any eggs, but I am looking for couple of roos from the 2013 import.

5. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I'm out of La. I have the 2013 line. I'm collecting for a hatch my hens have just started laying. So it will be a few months for me to gave them. More like six weeks. Pam

6. Dull Hoe Farm

Dec 16, 2014
    Mine came from a breeder in Knoxville, TN who purchased their stock from California. I believe it is Sunfire Farms. But I can look to see for sure when I get back to the office.

7. RWD

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I will be interested in a couple of 2013 import roos when you hatch....

8. Dull Hoe Farm

Dec 16, 2014
    Correction, most of my flock originated from Sunbird Farm in California. The other two sets of roosters came from eBay hatching eggs. So I'm not sure if I have both bloodlines here or just one.

9. RWD

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    You will probably want to buy a rooster from the 2011 and 2013 imports just to be sure you will have as broad a bloodline as possible. Who knows, there may be a 2015 line coming in.

10. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I'm really interested in this breed. Can anyone tell me how they do in heat? I live in southern AZ, where the winters are mild and the summers are a scorcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by