A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Awww, sweet! They look like mine, but a little more white I think. Ours have been less skittish since we started smashing up their crumble a little and putting in our hands... they seem to think it's a treat and like to sit on our hands to eat it. So they are more calm now which my boys enjoy.

They are getting big fast. I think we'll have to move them out to their own place in the chicken house because they seem to want more room.

Mine are in bins next to my bed so they jump up and visit me while I am on my computer or watching tv. They are so sweet.

Mine are in bins next to my bed so they jump up and visit me while I am on my computer or watching tv. They are so sweet.

ohmygosh that'd be so fun! My husband would freak though. My kids and I would be fine with them running around the house more, but we don't want to give Dad a heart attack. :)

I think when we move ours out to the chicken house we'll leave their area in the house in tact so they can still come in and get treats and visit. It's pretty cold out so I'm worried that we won't make it out to the chicken house enough to keep them happy and friendly.

Yesterday Lucky, our oldest Russian Orloff, came up to the back deck for some bread so I showed her one of the chicks. She does not seem happy about the new addition at all. She went into a kind of staring trance...
hmm.png

ohmygosh that'd be so fun! My husband would freak though. My kids and I would be fine with them running around the house more, but we don't want to give Dad a heart attack. :)

I think when we move ours out to the chicken house we'll leave their area in the house in tact so they can still come in and get treats and visit. It's pretty cold out so I'm worried that we won't make it out to the chicken house enough to keep them happy and friendly.

Yesterday Lucky, our oldest Russian Orloff, came up to the back deck for some bread so I showed her one of the chicks. She does not seem happy about the new addition at all. She went into a kind of staring trance...
hmm.png
It's great most of the time. But today, I put some clean laundry of the bed then I had to go somewhere. They visited the clean laundry pile while I was gone. I will be rewashing it tomorrow. My Marans visit the most and one loves cuddles.

If anyone watching this thread doesn't have Bielefelders, RBA has a good auction. 9 females and 3 males for about $235. That is total including shipping. Only a day left. The bid is at $159. There is a buy now button for $179. I doubt they will last until auction end time.

I have some hatching out now. So far 7 females and 1 male.

The males made a comeback. 10 1/2 females and 7 male bielefelder chicks. I gave the 1 female a half, she was a rescue chick. She has been out an hour or so, she hasn't been able to straighten out her neck. I'll have to wait and see how she does.

No the chicks at RBA weren't mine. I don't know the seller. Incase anyone was wondering. I just thought it was a good deal. Not often, but sometimes, I drop buy there just to see whats for sale and what they are selling for.

Last edited:
At this point I would say no. My hens are about 10 1/2 months old. I've had 1 hen out of 6 that has even remotely wanted to set. Two days in a row, I took the eggs out from underneath her. Both times she got up and went to another nest. Third day she wasn't on a nest.

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this hobby but wanted to share pictures of the ten Bielefelder chicks that we just bought. About half of them are a week old and the other half only 2 days old.

Does anyone have recommendations of what vaccines they may need and when?
What feed do you reccommend? They are currently on 24% Dumor Chick Starter with Chick SuperKibble mixed in at a 1:7 ratio.
Baby Cake supplement bar is put in with them a few hours each day, and probiotic powder is mixed into their drinking water.

We just bought them from a local person yesterday. We saw the parents when we went to pick them up and they are definitely Bielefelders, big and beautiful! Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I didn't know how rare this breed was until I looked them up. Want to make sure I give them the best care and nutrition possible, so please give me any and all advice. This is our first time raising/keeping chickens! Trying to do everything the best way but I'm sure I have a LOT to learn and I would appreciate any help offered.

Aren't they just the cutest? :)

Back
Top Bottom