A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
From what I have seen of the eggs the best you could hope for is green not olive.... maybe close with some birds but the eggs I have hatched or seen have been just brown. Olive eggers require DARK egg layers like a Marans.
Interesting. The Bielefelder eggs I received are equivilent to a light Marans color. A nice terra cotta color, but who knows what the chcks will lay. I hope as pretty as what they hatched from. :)

From what I have seen of the eggs the best you could hope for is green not olive.... maybe close with some birds but the eggs I have hatched or seen have been just brown.  Olive eggers require DARK egg layers like a Marans.

Interesting. The Bielefelder eggs I received are equivilent to a light Marans color. A nice terra cotta color, but who knows what the chcks will lay. I hope as pretty as what they hatched from. :)

You could always select for darker eggs.

Interesting. The Bielefelder eggs I received are equivilent to a light Marans color. A nice terra cotta color, but who knows what the chcks will lay. I hope as pretty as what they hatched from. :)

There are a lot of reasons why some brown eggs are deeper color than others - genetics, time spent for egg traveling throught oviduct, end of laying season, etc. It's a Marans website but covers all breed pigments in eggs:
http://maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf

It would be a fun project to try. Auto sexing Olive Eggers could be fun. It is a shame I can't keep Roos. Darn grumpy Neighbors.

My legbar roo that just came to maturity mated with my easter egger. I had a new bator I was dieing to try. So 2 hatched one has a smaller dot on its head than the legbars.Time will tell if its a roo.

Hatched these guys last tuesday. I have 15 more due to hatch thursday but I had an awful temp spike to 106 a couple days ago. Ahhhh....my wonderful little giant incubator.

Will a cross between a Bielefelder and Cream Legbar produce autosexing chicks also? I would think so but that was something I was talking to a friend about today that bought my 6 week old pair of Cream Legbars.

I think so. I'm starting to get fertilized eggs with my biele/cl cross and am tempted to try it, but I just don't have time for chicks right now.

Back
Top Bottom