A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Nice! For those with laying hens are these the typical color range that can be expected or is it more common to have mostly the darker or lighter color?

Do a internet search for Bielefelder eggs and you will find the color range is broad for Bielefelder eggs. Light brown to dark brown and everything in between.

Do a internet search for Bielefelder eggs and you will find the color range is broad for Bielefelder eggs. Light brown to dark brown and everything in between.

I searched for bielefelder egg color a good bit when I first got my chicks ad couldn't find a whole lot. Hope yo didn't think I was questioning your egg color. Was just curious what to expect. They're all great looking to me.
Thanks

I searched for bielefelder egg color a good bit when I first got my chicks ad couldn't find a whole lot. Hope yo didn't think I was questioning your egg color. Was just curious what to expect. They're all great looking to me.
Thanks

The problem as I understand it, there is not a "Breed Standard" for Bielefelders. So breeders do not know what color the egg should be and therefore not breeding to that color.

Last edited:
They are a brown egg laying breed of chicken. Since they aren't like Marans the shade of brown isn't an issue to validate an individual bird of being acceptable for the breed. If you like dark brown eggs then just hatch from the darkest eggs for several generations a lock that feature into you strain. Of course, egg production could slow as the eggs get darker.

They are a brown egg laying breed of chicken. Since they aren't like Marans the shade of brown isn't an issue to validate an individual bird of being acceptable for the breed. If you like dark brown eggs then just hatch from the darkest eggs for several generations a lock that feature into you strain. Of course, egg production could slow as the eggs get darker.

Please explain why egg production could slow as the eggs get darker. Thank you

Please explain why egg production could slow as the eggs get darker. Thank you
The brown on brown eggs is "painted" on as the egg passes through the oviduct. Darker eggs have a thicker layer of "paint". To achieve this the egg passes through the oviduct slower. Someone else may be able to provide a better explanation, but that is my take.

Interesting, I did not know that and I raised Pheasants and wyandottes for years. How much slower for the brown egg to drop compare to a white egg ? Are we talking minutes, hours or day??

My bielefelder eggs are unique for sure. They started with a pinkish hue too them,and are getting much darker. Def interesting. I couldn't be more pleased with the breed though. Beautiful,docile,good producing birds in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom