A Bielefelder Thread !

Question for the Coop. What is the physical/appearance difference between Bielefelders and Rhodebars ?
I've looked at hundreds of photos and all I've noticed is Rhodebars appear to be more dark/reddish in color.

Last edited:
Jut my experience Rhodebars have the really dark red and grow lots slower than the bellies and for some reason the girls are smaller too.
I have Bellies for 2 year now and the Rhodebars just got them on August, they did not grow as fast as my bellies I don't know if is because of the season or what.

Jut my experience Rhodebars have the really dark red and grow lots slower than the bellies and for some reason the girls are smaller too.
I have Bellies for 2 year now and the Rhodebars just got them on August, they did not grow as fast as my bellies I don't know if is because of the season or what.

I think you are right. The Bieles females look really different then Rhodebars. The Rhodebars are barred all over really and the same color. The Bieles are red breasted and then kind of brown barred all over. Size in the pullets is a HUGE difference. I don't have a cockerel old enough to compare with a Rhodebar but my Rhodebar is a big boy.... I wish the girls were as large.

Egg size and color are the big sellers to me. Rhodebars eggs are Med to Large and Bieles are large to extra large.... JUMBO maybe.

I have not seen that the bieles are faster growing. I usually hatch everything I have at the same time and I didn't see that they OUT GREW anyone in the pens really.

Egg size and color are the big sellers to me. Rhodebars eggs are Med to Large and Bieles are large to extra large.... JUMBO maybe
That is a good selling point for the Bielefelder.

I have no eggs yet. WOW can these birds eat! I am trying a higher protein feed. My pullet is VERY food aggressive and that tells me she needs more protein. I picked up 24% chick starter, will feed a week and then dilute it. The roo is just a doll, really isn't worried about anything, (just pick me up!) She is scarfing up the oyster shell like its candy too... Sooo maybe (?) they are close to breeding and laying.
I have 4 Jaerhon hens and a roo with them, young also since all are normally docile. The roo is too young, passive and docile to to breed but they will get separated pens when I start to see eggs.

I have no eggs yet. WOW can these birds eat! I am trying a higher protein feed. My pullet is VERY food aggressive and that tells me she needs more protein. I picked up 24% chick starter, will feed a week and then dilute it. The roo is just a doll, really isn't worried about anything, (just pick me up!) She is scarfing up the oyster shell like its candy too... Sooo maybe (?) they are close to breeding and laying.
I have 4 Jaerhon hens and a roo with them, young also since all are normally docile. The roo is too young, passive and docile to to breed but they will get separated pens when I start to see eggs.

My Bielies ate like it was their job until they got to about POL. I am curious to hear if others have had the same experience. Once they got done growing they slowed down a lot. I wonder if yours are younger than you think. I do keep mine on a higher protein feed. My rooster is the same way, I just love him to death!!!

How do the bieles compare to "standard" laying breeds in terms of overall production?

Not sure what "standard" breed you are referring to, but my Bielefelders lay better than any other heavy breed chickens (rir, br, barnies, del.) that I have raised if you consider, size of egg, quantity of eggs, and behavior. Not to mention they seem to be a better meat bird than most other standard breeds.

This is exciting advertisement for the Bielies…..How is the laying ability over the longer term…Some breeds lay real well the first year and maybe the second then it becomes spotty, others lay well for several years….Anyone with experience here?

Back
Top Bottom