A Bielefelder Thread !

I'm reading that the barring is different in heterozygous and homozygous males. Can you tell the difference by looking at them?
Bielefelders should all be homozygous barred males for the auto sexing to work, correct?
Yes, you can tell the difference, homozygous is lighter.
Correct, and purebred bielefelder roosters are always homozygous barred.

Nettie’s most speckled egg yet! Not sure this photo picks it up well, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it! Also Nettie has been a consummate nursemaid to my Cream Legbar who is slowly recovering from crop issues. She really lives up to the breed’s temperament!
A966B02B-DC25-41A9-B43A-380AF24D6314.jpeg
B0282A6B-37F2-44B2-A126-0B4574E9C11D.jpeg

We weighed the Biels again today! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out there at the 20 week mark, so they are 21 weeks and 3 days old. Also, we had to suddenly switch to a different type of feed, changed feeding methods since the last weigh-in, and had some single digit temperatures for a bit, all of which likely resulted in some lost potential weight gain while they adjusted. (Our layers dropped production sharply for a couple weeks & are still climbing back to their pre-change normal, so the Beils probably stopped gaining during the same time period.) Without further ado, the numbers...

#Bielefelders
21.5 weeks

Cockerels
Range: 5.25-6.3 lbs.
Average: 5.74 lbs.

Pullets
Range: 3.3-5.0 lbs.
Average: 4.04 lbs.

OK! Time for another weigh-in. I was on time this round at exactly 24 weeks. Do keep in mind, as stated last weigh-in, due to feed changes these weights probably reflect about 2 weeks of suboptimal growth. That being said, 100% of roosters and 25% of the hens are now over 5 lbs, which would be my minimum processing weight if these were going to be broilers. The numbers...

#Bielefelders
24 weeks old

Roosters
Range 5.2-6.2 lbs
Average 5.71 lbs

Hens
Range 3.8-5.45 lbs
Average 4.34 lbs

Back
Top Bottom