A bit of a rant but also a question, dog owner manners..

Wow. That's .... well, rude!

Well, a few options, all difficult, but more difficult than scrubbing your carpet?

One is, make a point of going over there and having a heart to heart with her. Just flat out tell her it's not fair that this goes on and you hope she understands and leaves her little guy at home. Probably best, most honest, though yeah, difficult.

I'm honestly think I'd say something like, "Oh no, that's ok, we'll just put little José (or whatever) in XYZ's (one of your dogs) crate that way he won't be a bother, it's so much easier to clean up his accidents in a crate instead of wherever he goes on the carpet."

Or whatever.

I suppose you could also say you don't have crates for yours anymore so it's not going to be possible to lock them up... or I dunno. Even if she takes offense at the first, or thinks you're fibbing about the second, she will either stop bringing the dog, or stop coming over all together. Neither sounds like a bad thing.

my dads friend kept bringing a dog over to my house it chased the chickens around(which trigured my dogs to chase) i told him not to bring his dog around becouse we have a lab that kills cats and i dont take her to his house even though i know she probly wont catch the cat. i used to hang out with him becouse i felt srry for him my dad would call him and say come over(my dad cannot hold still) then my dad would just take off and disapeer after this guy drives 2hrs with his now 2yr old kid. he came out to our property to cut wood i told him he cannot have that dog on my property (why would you take a dog to cut wood in the 1st place?) he said he would keep it on back of the property with him i got a gun and said i was going to a friends but now i have to guard my animles if that dog comes to where i can see it it is too close and will be shot.

sometimes i feel like im the only dog owner that has common sence/curtesy becouse i would never take my animles where there is a chance they would couse trouble.

Last edited:
I put my dogs up when I have very small children and very elderly people visiting just because I have a lot and I wouldn't want someone getting knocked over. I think you should just kindly ask your friend to either leave her dog at home or bring a crate for her dog to be locked in. The first time someone's dog whizzed in my house would be it's last!! You don't need to make any excuses either.

Hmmm....Let me say that often times small dogs are forgiven their "bad" behavior because of their size. Regretfully so. I have 4 little dogs and I remind myself when training them that if it is not acceptable behavior from a large dog, that they are not allowed to do it either (jumping on people, springs to mind).

You are well within your rights to tell your friend to leave their pooch at home. The disregard paid to you and your home/pets seems a tad on the selfish if not oblivious side from your friend. I have the notion that you are afraid to hurt their feelings if you tell them this, but it's not too late to speak your mind. Positively and firmly let them know that even though you enjoy visiting with them, you are no longer comfortable having their dog over at your house. You need no excuse. You don't even need to explain yourself. If you don't speak on your own behalf, it is only you that suffers. If you have not implied or said outright that there is a problem, your friend is likely to be oblivious to what you are feeling/thinking. That only leaves room for the problem to fester.

Maybe the question needs to be asked...why do they bring the dog to visit? I can only think of a few times I have brought my dogs to friend's houses, and that was so they could socialize and play with their dogs. And my friends invited them.

You are your own best advocate. Good luck.

3goodeggs...great question!

She is a friend, and a good friend and an animal lover. This is her first dog ever and I think she neglected to do some research. The last time she was here the dog got into my garbage, I went to take it and she snapped at me, I made her submit and relinquish the garbage. My friend sat back and didn't say anything(she wasn't mad but you could tell she felt sorry for her dog, as soon as I was done she scoo-ped her up and started coddling her. I gave her some info on why she shouldn't do that and she quickly put the dog down). I honestly think she just doesn't know, she is not intending to be rude. I will say something to her and it shouldn't bring in long lasting hard feelings.

I just feel like , new dog owner or not, isn't it just common sense???

It feels strange to me that she would be so oblivious to the fact that it is rude. You don't need to be a life long dog owner to see how it isn't appropriate behaviour to expect smeone to lock up their dogs so that yours can have the run of their house...

Reminds me of my 2nd pet peeve. when people bring their children over and allow them to chase my birds. I love that my brids are very people friendly and willing to come up to you. I don't mind when young children walk after my birds because they wan't to get close..they don't understand...But when people allow thier kids to chase the birds, pretending sticks are guns and sending the whole flock into an uproar all the while the parents sit back with a content smile happy their kids are gettng a "farm experience". I always ask the kids to stop and say" we don't chase after the birds here"...At that point I believe the parents should step in and inforce the rule. But some don't...

I guess common sense isn't all that common....

I hate it when people chase my birds!!!! I just want to shoot them!

A family friend, though not a friend of mine, has to be rudest house guest ever!. She always brings her kid, wgo isn't the most well behaved. He is a little over two years old and throws rocks at my chickens. When I told her she actually laughed, cause she thought it was completely adorable. I then bluntly told her I didn't like it and now she refuses to talk to me. No loss to me at all.

Yesterday I was having Pizza with my dad. My dad was babysitting said friend's kid and she was late picking him up, so she met us at the Pizza Place. She then came in, said she wasn't hungry which was fine with me. She then plopped down next to me without being invited to stay and talked on her cell phone for 30 minutes while her kid ran wild around the place.

she has done several things like this and I hate it! Whenever I try to talk to my dad about it he gets angry, cause he can't see anything wrong with it.

In case you hadn't guessed I find that extremely rude!
rant.gif

Even setting aside the fact that it's ridiculous to expect you to cage your dogs while her's run free.........there is NO WAY she'd be bringing a dog that's not house-trained into my home. No way, no how. I think that's how I'd go about it, too. I know you love little smoopsie-poopy-doo, but I can't have him ruining my floors. From now on I think you need to leave him at home or else bring a cat carrier to put him in to keep him from using my floor as his bathroom. (and in my head, not outloud: and to keep my doggies from having a light snack, clueless)

If you have a small pet carrier get it out and the next time she comes over, ask her to put her dog in it while she is there. Just say, "my dogs don't like to be crated while I'm home, so put the chi in this while you're here." Bet she never brings it over again after that. I hate how people treat their little toy sized dogs like they aren't dogs and don't need to be trained!!!

IMO this has very little to do with the dogs. This is inconsiderate and selfish behavior towards you.

I would be quite direct if I were you, as in, _____, I want you to know that I have made myself uncomfortable by crating my own dogs and allowing your dog the run of their home. From now on, I am not going to do that, so please do not bring your dog with you when you come to visit. Thanks.

JMO of course.

Back
Top Bottom