A Box of Monsters

:::Total containment failure occurred at approximately 6:40 a.m. Reconfiguration of containment measures are underway.:::

Not only were the chickens not separated, they managed to hatch a coordinated mass escape. It was a lovely surprise to be greeted at the back door when I got up.

There was also another egg - this time inside the coop. I'll be collecting them for a few days to possibly hatch but there are limited incubator spaces and no broody hens.

:::Total containment failure occurred at approximately 6:40 a.m. Reconfiguration of containment measures are underway.:::

Not only were the chickens not separated, they managed to hatch a coordinated mass escape. It was a lovely surprise to be greeted at the back door when I got up.

There was also another egg - this time inside the coop. I'll be collecting them for a few days to possibly hatch but there are limited incubator spaces and no broody hens.
Your lucky that you didn't loose any of them during the escape. At least you now know where the weak spot's are at.

Have you candled the one's that you have in the incubator? If you can see any growth in those, you can take them out. That will give you more incubator room. I have done split hatches before, and it look's like I'll be doing one again this time myself.

Your lucky that you didn't loose any of them during the escape. At least you now know where the weak spot's are at.

Have you candled the one's that you have in the incubator? If you can see any growth in those, you can take them out. That will give you more incubator room. I have done split hatches before, and it look's like I'll be doing one again this time myself.
Yes, thankfully they were content to stay within the grassy area around the coop/run. I don't think they can fly high enough to get out of the fenced yard. They now have the whole run and are sharing it fairly peacefully with the addition of several visual barriers.

We've removed 3 eggs that were either clear or had blood rings. There's still one questionable egg but I'm not ready to give up on it yet. That leaves 4 open spaces unless I stack them. How feasible is it to have two sets of eggs in the incubator at the same time? Hatch dates would be about 2 weeks apart.

Yes, thankfully they were content to stay within the grassy area around the coop/run. I don't think they can fly high enough to get out of the fenced yard. They now have the whole run and are sharing it fairly peacefully with the addition of several visual barriers.

We've removed 3 eggs that were either clear or had blood rings. There's still one questionable egg but I'm not ready to give up on it yet. That leaves 4 open spaces unless I stack them. How feasible is it to have two sets of eggs in the incubator at the same time? Hatch dates would be about 2 weeks apart.
That's what would be called a split hatch, It can be done. I did it before when I just had my styrofoam Little Giant incubator to do my hatches in. At lockdown on the first batch, I would put my second batch in an egg carton in there to keep the hatcher's from playing bowling ball with them. I am now using my HR 360 incubator that can hold 22 egg's in it, but I still have my old Styrofoam one, so I can use that one to separate the 2 batches when one is ready to hatch.

Chicken math is in full swing here so it seems an appropriate time to start this thread.

We brought home our first box of monsters April 29. 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Olive Egger and a Buff Orpington. They surprised us with their charm and grace.

View attachment 3195712

The beasts outgrew their brooder quickly. Before long, they were spending their days lounging in the sun.

View attachment 3195714
View attachment 3195715

Yes, they have their own beach towel. Mostly because it's now covered in poop.

They grew SO fast! It seemed to happen over night. One of them is obviously from a famous family.

View attachment 3195722

Of course now they're almost hens and have a place of their own.

View attachment 3195724

Then chicken math took hold. I received a box of monster eggs in the mail! Who knew such a thing was possible? Thankfully, I had an incubator ready to go.

View attachment 3195732
View attachment 3195734

A mere three days later, I was informed there was another package for me at the post office. This time, a box of live, noisy monsters had been sent. 3 Australorps, 2 Dark Brahmas and 2 Speckled Sussex.

View attachment 3195753

I hope this is all of them. They are entertaining but we only have room for so many.
TOOOOO CUUUUUTE! :love

Back
Top Bottom