A brooder, several eaters, no laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moogooch, Sep 7, 2017.

1. moogooch

moogooch In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    I have five chickens, 3 Dominiques and 2 Buff Cochins, about 18 months old. Right now, one of the Cochins is broody, and has been for at least a month. She stills lays, but is the only one. The others have not been laying for the past month. I also have several egg eaters. I think the brooder is one of them, but I have others. I took some advice from BYC and put eggs filled with mustard in 2 of the 3 boxes (the brooder is taking up the 3rd), trying to break them of their eating habit. Both the mustard eggs were eaten! Any suggestions? They seem healthy otherwise.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally egg eating is because of a protein deficiency or from boredom. Switch to a higher protein feed, add in some higher protein treats like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, and canned fish, put fake ceramic eggs in your nests to make curious pecking unsuccessful, and collect eggs often.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, the mustard thing rarely works makes a mess tho, eh?
    Broodies don't lay.
    Are you positive who is laying and who is not?
    Are you finding 'wet messes' from eaten egg remains and how long has that been going on??

Breaking the broody would be first on my list...if she is in fact broody.
    Non-layers are probably molting at that age this time of year.

More info would help.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: