A bully hen or normal pecking?

Lbittner

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Hi! I have four hens that are six months old. They were raised together since they were two weeks old. Everything has been going wonderfully until a few days ago. My Isa Brown started pecking the smallest Americana. She pecks at the back of the neck, trying to grab feathers. Tonight she went after the other Americana that she’d been hanging out with all day. This happened on the roosting bar. Is this normal pecking order behavior or do I have a bully/major problem. My girls are in a coop that is designed to hold six chickens. They get to run in the yard almost all day. They are on a layer feed. Sunflower seeds and mealworms are given daily. Thank you for any feedback!

Is the pecking done when There is food around or maybe the “dominant” chicken trying to get the best spot? Because my leghorn is at the top of the flocks pecking order and when there is food around she will grab at feathers until she gets the best for herself and when dust bathing she will grab neck feathers for her spot. I wouldnt worry if it is things like this because its just normal pecking order behavior, and since you mentioned that the smaller one is receiving the peck, the larger chickens are generally at the top and will behave this way to the smaller ones which is the case for my girls, however if they become more violent or draw blood, I would definetly have some concern.

Is the pecking done when There is food around or maybe the “dominant” chicken trying to get the best spot? Because my leghorn is at the top of the flocks pecking order and when there is food around she will grab at feathers until she gets the best for herself and when dust bathing she will grab neck feathers for her spot. I wouldnt worry if it is things like this because its just normal pecking order behavior, and since you mentioned that the smaller one is receiving the peck, the larger chickens are generally at the top and will behave this way to the smaller ones which is the case for my girls, however if they become more violent or draw blood, I would definetly have some concern.
Today the pecking has happened while they free range in the yard. The “offender” (Peepers)will just walk over and peck at the smallest one. The dust bath was one location. After Peeper was done with her bath the smallest one took her turn. Peepers just went over, pecked at the face once then walked on. The roosting bar is another spot. Peepers will reach around another hen to peck. Tonight she was reaching up to the bar to peck at both girls repeatedly.
What is considered violent? They is definitely loud squawking from the one that is getting picked on.

Back
Top Bottom