A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Aw, I think you have to keep that little poult! Sounds like it's totally attached to you. I'm sure it's lonely when you put it in the box....you should hold it ;)

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Oh, do I have experience with this! Dinner used to fly out from day one! Or cry so loud you felt so bad and went to pick him up then he snuggled under your chin. It was beyond adorable/annoying. Once they were able, Banshee and Tomahawk followed suit.
    When my DH (used like your DW in this case...) refused to deal with it anymore, we put a bit of poultry wire over the top to keep them in. That didn't last too long, they still were forced out at 3 weeks.
    I think if you are selling the poult, more than a couple may be too much... as far as attachment goes...
    Otherwise, there is no such thing as too many!! Ours were literally little pocket poults. We would purposely wear hooded sweatshirts with pockets on the front to carry them around. No wonder they are still so confused as to why they can't come inside.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Sounds like this little guy, he hates his incubator.

BUT even the DW picked him, out and held him when she got home from work...

I am thinking of taking him to my recliner for a Mikes now...

4. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I see that I missed a lot since monday. I crammed a week of work into two days so I could drive to the desert to visit mom. DH is taking care of Fast Eddie And the Girls.
    Has anyone had trouble with Stick Tight fleas? I'm still trying to get rid of them. They are plucking their feathers put. Poor ChaCha (one footed bantam) is nearly bald on her belly. I've done flea dips, I change the pine shavings daily, we sprayed the coop room and yard. I've put down diatemacious earth,flea powder (permetherin), Vaseline and olive oil on their heads to smother the fleas. Every 10 days. I'm on the third rotation. Any ideas?

Duluthralphie it sounds like you have a new pet! LOL:)

5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Has been one of those days at work. Spent 7 years on nights. Finally get a day shift. Now they decide they want to try rotating my position to days and nights.

So I had today and tomorrow and then go to a night rotation for 2 months. They decided to stack at least 4 major projects on us today and have 2 mire for tomorrow.

Making last couple on days terrible.

Ralphie never too much holding a new poult. Sounds like he likes it. Hope he and you enjoyed the Mikes.

For guest of honor turkeys. I would feed a cracked corn with some BOSS added too add some fat and weight.

Someone left some McCormicks whiskey in my fridge think I'm gonna sample that shortly.

6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Hopefully in 2 weeks gonna order a plucking machine for the guest birds. I hate plucking and usually get frustrated and skin them.

Does any one have any experience with a plucker
    For turkeys. Are they as good as advertised.

Figure I raised them all from babies might as well do the entire process right.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a plucker, but have only used it on chickens.,

I got kinda attached to my turkeys last year and could not do it, so I sold them to the Asian Mafia lady. This year will be different.

8. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure....

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Ah huh It will!! really.

10. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I got brave today and finally let my poults out to free range for the first time for about an hour. Of course I was right there, closely supervising the entire time lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@SilkieSensation, here are the 3 from you. In guessing they're around 13 weeks old now. Cupid has proven himself to be a he add he's the first one to gobble (and the only one so far)

Angel

[​IMG]

Cupid

[​IMG]

Pebbles

[​IMG]

Then off course is my handsome Adam :) I think about 14 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

And I'm done photo bombing lol. They had a good time out foraging today and Adam even spotted a hawk and warned everyone. I'm just to nervous to let them out for long that I may never get them back lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by