A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

R2elk nailed it! I'd be overrun!

But to be fair...I'll never have enough hens to make a tom happy. I don't want either hen hurt in the "heat of the moment". Remember, I'm an accidental turkey owner having wrangling Daisy roadside in the midst of rush hour traffic. Annie was wrangled out of a field to be her roommate. They are a source of amusement & endless facination! I've had a blast learning about turkeys & their behavior. Someday, when I'm not working so much, I'll expand my flock. But right now its pretty zen with just the two girls. I do want another hen. Worried about something happening to one of my two....leaving the other freaked out.

So Feedman....breed me a Narri hen!

Tom turkeys are easy to make "happy". Just throw and upside down dog dish in the yard and they will be in love.

Oh geez! Now I'm feeling guilty about the tom....

Well, You should!!!

gig.gif

I sold 2 adults this morning that failed to make the breeding team. Both to Coffee.

She took a small hen that had some "sandy" colored feathers in her tail. I can't have that and she was too small for my needs.

Then she took the extra Royal Palm Tom I had. I did not need two of them. At this point I assume my hens are good for 2 months or so.

Hey guys, I found a new nest box that the turkeys really seem to like! You know those little plastic cat carriers? Well, a slightly bigger one made for a small dog works perfect! They love it! I have a second one that I might throw in there just because of the success with the first one :)

Congrats to Coffee on the new turkeys :)

Well it's still snowing here.... I think we're probably breaking recent history records lol (I think some areas of the county got 18+ inches today). Everything seems to be shut down... such fun :rolleyes: The birds remain unimpressed with the current state of "outside" and have opted for indoors only. I keep waiting for someone to tell me that I don't have to go to work - but that hasn't come to pass :(

I was laughing at the nest box conversation above... Big Bird will only lay on top of the chicken nest boxes, so I finally built a tray for the top of the nest boxes for her which she seems to like. It's completely open, she won't use it if its covered.....strange bird :p

Holm - Pretty birds you got from Ralphie!

Fiesty-that's crazy! Be safe if you need to go anywhere. We're having the opposite issue. It was in the mid 40's today, will be 59 tomorrow (and rainy) then back to mid 40's on Wednesday. All the heavy snow that we got the other day (it was like a foot of heavy packing snow) will all melt away and flood the creeks down in town. We haven't really had an impressive winter since we've moved here though we were told to keep winter stockpiles and be prepared to get slowed in. We're on the mountain top. I'm not a fan of winter but I wouldn't mind a decent winter.

Back
Top Bottom