A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Mary may be our first broody of the year! Good luck with keeping her off the nest. Persistent may be an understatement!

After many months of close observation, Annie finally figured out how to operate the chickens treadle feeder! She figured out if she stands sideways she can step on it and get her head in there. Boy was she proud of herself. Lots of happy chirps. She even backed away from it then tried it again. Turkeys are to big to operate it like a chicken would....standing on the treadle & eating. The only way she could do it was to stand sideways. I didnt think she'd figure that out.

Ralphie how many turkeys you got and what flavors (colors)?

I think I have 21-22.

I have slates (self and blues0
Bronze
Royal Palm
Blacks

My rusty slate and Red Blue Bronze.

I think that is it, I have been getting rid of some, and will be getting rid of more (fast) in next month.  I would not want to be those that do not sell....

I love the slate and self blue color also like the blue red bronze. I am hoping to have a really big flock next year to breed.

My first hatchling of the year!

Memphis, that's great that Annie figured out the treadle!

Oh, and I got a turkey egg the other day, from Swan. So we can add Indiana to the list.

My first batch failed to start, but batch 2 had 5 of 16 going. I'm thinking the cold weather might affect them before I get them into holding. I saw some veining in batch 3, but I'm not gonna do any tossing until next week for those. Hatches start in a week, then continue every week until I feel like stopping.

Ralphie what do you feed your turkeys? Asked on the other thread and I think it got lost.

I finally remembered to bring a tag off the bag in with me..

It is 18% breeder is all, I thought it was more. "Game bird breeder"..

whole bunch of stuff I could never spell on the tag. looks like minor minerals and some vitamins.

It does say 3% calcium.

lysine and Methionine are listed at 0.9% and 0.45% if that means anything.

The main ingredients are Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean meal, Animal Protein products. Then the vitamin and minerals start with calcium.

Sorry I was so slow on this, I be a busy person right now..
gig.gif

I finally remembered to bring a tag off the bag in with me..

It is 18% breeder is all, I thought it was more. "Game bird breeder"..

whole bunch of stuff I could never spell on the tag. looks like minor minerals and some vitamins.

It does say 3% calcium.

lysine and Methionine are listed at 0.9% and 0.45% if that means anything.

The main ingredients are Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean meal, Animal Protein products. Then the vitamin and minerals start with calcium.

Sorry I was so slow on this, I be a busy person right now..
gig.gif
Methionine is the one contained in BOSS that helps promote feather growth which is why BOSS is a good supplement during the molt. Lysine and methionine are amino acids added to poultry feed to bring their levels up to what the poultry require since plant matter does not contain them in the same proportions as animals.

Back
Top Bottom