A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I love having baby turkeys, it is impossible to resist taking a million pics of them :D Since it is raining out (FINALLY) and shaping up to be mostly an indoor day, you are about to be inundated with baby pictures lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr Turkules....still having wing issues, but he seems happy so we're waiting it out.
    [​IMG]

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Bring on the baby pic!! I'm SO jealous! Thanks for the Turkules update...is it any better or still the same?

3. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

We've been letting his wing go unwrapped for the last day or so, since it is no longer catching on his legs when he walks. The bottom of it still hangs down and he doesn't try to flap much (it seems to hurt). We think it looks a little better so we're going to wait it out a little bit longer. The few times we did wrap it up.....just sharing - a turkey face can look positively indignant and insulted :lau He put up with getting it wrapped, but gave me "the stink-eye" for quite awhile after.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Glad Turkules is getting better. That picture of the baby strutting is priceless!

I have a problem, BUT I have come up with a solution.

Our BBW (DW named him big bird) is the most gentile sweetest guy, just huge like a baby Huey. My slates ( and what ever else they are) have taken to ganging up on Big bird. He has spent the last couple days in the coop his head in the corner and hanging low. We thought he was sick. I even got afraid that he might have AI. This morning when I let them out the "gangsters" started harassing big bird, pushing him around chest bumping and snood grabbing. They were brutal.

I moved Big Bird out to where my CX's are for now. I have a guinea pen, to place criminal guineas (read to mean most guineas) I am going to be sending the bullying gangsters to guinea gulag for a few weeks. They want to be mean and fight they can go up against the guineas. Big bird was to be our guest for dinner on Thanksgiving. One of the young thugs may take his place now. Even Penguin is headed to prison. What is a person to do when a Jake goes bad?

I thought we raised them better than this.

5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

You've got it exactly right....off to the guinea pen for them, maybe they'll learn some manners lol (or get their butts kicked).... big bird will enjoy the peace and quiet while they are incarcerated :)

6. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All!
    I love the photos! Makes me want to get more turkeys!! I'm addicted! I have to get a better plan for the separating in times of need before I increase my brood.

Sorry I've missed so much going on this week. Been busy with family and work.

One of my chickens was attacked by something during the night or early morning. Turkey boy started calling me earlier than normal with a different tone of voice. He usually gobbles but Wednesday morning it was worried chirps. So I ran out there quick and found Cha-cha my one footed bantam with a bloody face and swollen eye and feathers everywhere. The other chickens seem to be protecting her and sitting with her. She is doing better now. The point is, my turkey called me out there three hours earlier than I normally go. When I go into the coop to prepare the food, I talk to every one like they are little kids.
    My DH thinks that I'm gonzo. Please tell me someone else out there does this too.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You're not crazy or have company. A couple weeks ago my son was here and we were doing so work in one of the sheds. All of a sudden he says "who, you talking to?"

I told him nobody, then he saw the hen by my feet and says " Oh, I forgot you talk to your chickens."

2 people like this.
  8. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I talk to the birds all the time - jeez, I hope that doesn't make me crazy :)

9. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    I talk and sing. Singing really brings out some gobbles! [​IMG]

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That is because turkeys like to think of themselves as amateur critics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by