1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph, good thing we have R2Elk here to figure out the calculator! I can't do it either. And I also have no idea what types of turkeys are what. I know some very basics.

I am enjoying a nice cold glass of wine this evening as I watch the turkeys play with the dog and kids.
    Really, I can't believe my aunt had such mean turkeys. She must have beat them and told them they were worthless and ugly. They used to be so aggressive to us (even as big kids!).
    Thankfully, Ralph has shown me the turkey light!

So, thank you oh wise turkey sage Ralphie, my BYC BFF [​IMG] (Even if you can't tell what breeds JJ and Ethel are producing...)

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

It appears JJ and Ethel are the magical pair that can produce just about any turkey type there is..

I got lucky with them..

BTW I caught Sidekick, and I held and petted him today. He did not like it and left a present on the deck where I was holding him.

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I hatched one that looks just like this this spring. I came out of a tom that had a blue slate mom and a bronze dad. And he bred a bourbon red hen. So best I can figure a blue red bronze

4. duluthralphie

Those "blue" spots on the wings are weird, but great looking. They are not really blue I am not sure what color they are.

5. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    So I currently feed my chickens purina flock raiser. I'm getting turkeys on Monday. Is it alright to feed this to the turkeys as well so I don't have to buy two different types of feed? I would offer oyster shells on the side as I will have boys of both varieties.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    if the turkeys you are getting are adults won't be a problem. I feed my turkeys purina flockraiser and they do fine.

7. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    Here is a pic of the one I hatched this spring. That resembles your youngster ralphie.
    [​IMG]

8. duluthralphie

cool turkey, It does have some of the same colors, but it looks different too. What were it's parents?

I think it is amazing the different looks you can get with turkeys.

9. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    tom was a blue slate/bronze. He mated with a bourbon red hen.

10. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Yes they are adults. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by