A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

CherMoz is right...singing makes my turkeys chirp & trill like crazy. My Bourbon Red hen is VERY chatty! She gets particulary noisey/excited when taking a dirt bath! Love those happy turkey sounds! I'm finally starting to figure out what some of those alien sounds mean.

I talk to my birds all the time lol and not baby tali either. I swear, they understand. Adam will chock his head, look right in my eyes and answer me lol.

We are such horrible slackers, seriously. We still have not gown or turkey pen and coop built yet! The oldest of my babies is pushing 18 weeks old already and they were still staying in a tiny, temporary pen. Well, tonight, I moved them into the shed until we get their house done (not like they don't get to free range all day anyway). So now they have a nice 10 x 14 shed housing them and for the first time, they have a roost. I threw a 2 x 6 in there across the middle and they wasted no time hopping up on it. Pictures, hopefully tomorrow. It's too late and dark now.

Ralphie, the broad breasted turkeys are just so passive & slow moving that they become easy targets for the other birds. I never put my broad breasted with heritage past a couple weeks old. Broad breasted go with broilers or smaller chickens. They just can't hold their own against heritage or large roosters.

Ralphie, the broad breasted turkeys are just so passive & slow moving that they become easy targets for the other birds. I never put my broad breasted with heritage past a couple weeks old. Broad breasted go with broilers or smaller chickens. They just can't hold their own against heritage or large roosters.

That's good to know, my BBB seem to hold their own, but this guy just can't.

Charmed- I hope your hen is okay!

I too, talk to my birds all the time. I speak in plain ole English as well as in chicken and turkey. I swear I can communicate with them.

Ralph- I hope your gangsters learn a little something from their time in jail. And Penguin?! Tisk. Tisk.

Yesterday Dinner had me up and running out the back door at a very early hour. Like Charmed experienced, I got the "get out here" call much earlier than usual.
When I got outside, Dinner and Tomahawk were making all kinds of noise. I didn't see Banshee anywhere.

Minutes later, I get a call from the neighbor saying something that looked like Banshee went flying past her house and further down the hill.

I put on shoes and went to look for him. The other two were calling to him, he was calling back, I was calling out "Banshee, come here baby".
Sure enough, minutes later, Banshee comes running to me and stops at my feet so I will pick him up.

My neighbor is sitting on the porch watching all this, laughing. She didn't believe that the turkey would come when I called it.
See? I can communicate with them!

So that story leads me to my question.
Banshee seems to be more of a "lone Tom" these days. I think, Dinner has staked claim over Tomahawk and is running Banshee out. Does this happen?
I have never seen them fight or anything, but every night Banshee finds somewhere else to roost, sleeping alone. He also escapes and goes out investigating all alone.... hence the neighbor sighting.

Last edited:
Turkeys do weird things, so it could very well be, Banshee is odd man out.

I know JJ considers Ethel his property and no one else's. When I hold Ethel, JJ gets ticked off and makes a PITA of himself. If I let her down he stand between Ethel and myself so I cannot touch her again.

I have seen him push Sidekick away from Ethel, but then he spends all day pushing Sidekick around.

Last edited:
I only have the two turkey hens, but I know my chickens can be cliquey. One of my older hens just lost her best buddy & spends a lot of her time alone or with me.

And then there is my one turkey hen who thinks she needs to jump a fence everytime she has to lay an egg.

Maybe Banshee is looking for the hen of his dreams....

Back
Top Bottom