A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Quote:
I'm loving the looks of those mottled turkey poults

@R2elk what kind of incubator/hatcher are you using?

You should see what they look like as adults.

Tri-Color Mottled Black

Tri-Color Mottled Slate

They are easy to make if you use the right combination of parents but they will never breed true because of their heterozygous color genes. If you were to breed two Tri-Color Mottled Blacks together and hatch enough eggs, their are 27 different color varieties possible from that mating.

I have an old GQF 1202 incubator that has been modified to be operated by a Spyder temperature controller. For the hatcher, I am using a GQF 1550 hatcher. I would prefer to get another old 1202 and convert it to a hatcher since the 1550 does not have as well designed air flow or variable amount of air flow. It was not designed for hatching at altitude which is my problem.

The first Tri-Color Mottled Slate didn't make it. I suspect it had internal issues. It also appeared to have the small eye syndrome. Another hatched and is doing fine as well as 2 Tri-Color Mottled Blacks.

Tri-Color Mottled Black
So sorry.
sad.png
What is "small eye syndrome"?

Quote:

You should see what they look like as adults.

Tri-Color Mottled Black

Tri-Color Mottled Slate

They are easy to make if you use the right combination of parents but they will never breed true because of their heterozygous color genes. If you were to breed two Tri-Color Mottled Blacks together and hatch enough eggs, their are 27 different color varieties possible from that mating.

I have an old GQF 1202 incubator that has been modified to be operated by a Spyder temperature controller. For the hatcher, I am using a GQF 1550 hatcher. I would prefer to get another old 1202 and convert it to a hatcher since the 1550 does not have as well designed air flow or variable amount of air flow. It was not designed for hatching at altitude which is my problem.
I'm starting out with my bourbons this year and will probably branch out next year (don't tell my fiancé lol) I will definitely be looking to do some color variations like the mottled turkeys mainly because I like to be different and who doesn't want some eye candy around lol.

I have a little giant 9200 right now... nothing fancy but am doing research to get an incubator and hatcher that are more reliable in the future.... once I get married maybe I'll have a little more play money to spend
he.gif

I'm starting out with my bourbons this year and will probably branch out next year (don't tell my fiancé lol) I will definitely be looking to do some color variations like the mottled turkeys mainly because I like to be different and who doesn't want some eye candy around lol.

I have a little giant 9200 right now... nothing fancy but am doing research to get an incubator and hatcher that are more reliable in the future.... once I get married maybe I'll have a little more play money to spend
he.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Well folks, Today was lock down day for the turkeys and their web footed friends. Had one egg blew up sometime ago. Mess in bator--yuk. Had another egg with broken top, when I picked it up, a little round beak and two eyes poked out. I laid it into the hatching tray, grabbed my phone and before I could get it unlocked had a little wet Rouen bouncing around. Wow, never expected that. Had at least a dozen pipped.
yippiechickie.gif

Well folks,  Today was lock down day for the turkeys and their web footed friends.  Had one egg blew up sometime ago.  Mess in bator--yuk.  Had another egg with broken top, when I picked it up, a little round beak and two eyes poked out.  I laid it into the hatching tray, grabbed my phone and before I could get it unlocked had a little wet Rouen bouncing around.  Wow, never expected that.  Had at least a dozen pipped.  :yiipchick

Awesome. Good luck with the rest of your hatchers

Back
Top Bottom