A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I think all of my hens are going broody. But they are not mean about it. I went in to the winter house this afternoon and the ducks had eggs everywhere... an hour later they were all in one of two nests. How considerate of them...
gig.gif

Trying to decide which ones. I need to weigh the midgets somehow so I can use the smallest for breeding. There are a couple that are almost the size of of the Rp toms.I will cull out those for sure

I THINK Pebbles is done being broody. She's not mothering the young poult anymore and i have her baby inside. She's off the nest all day though, I've had to kick her off in the evening at bedtime. She seems to see an egg in the box and not be able to resist sifting on it. She does go to the roost once i move her though so I'm thinking she giving it up.

In the chicken coop though, my resident broody, Ana, is back at it. Her last baby still doesn't even have his grown up voice yet and she's sitting again. Both ducks are trying to go broody too. Of course they all want the same nest.

Ana and Cocoa in the nest

Cocoa seems to have given up sharing the best but the other duck, Ebony is still fighting for it. The other day, there was quite the battle between Ana and Ebony over the nest. Duck fluff went flying everywhere and both girls tumbled out (don't worry, nobody got hurt). This was the aftermath:

Ana claimed the fluffy duck nest and Ebony was stuck wandering around outside lol. The funny thing is that both girls were in the nest together tonight when i closed the coop. Thankfully, I'm not giving either of them any real eggs. I'll graft some chicks to Ana on a couple weeks because i know she won't give up. I'm not sure what to do with Ebony though lol

Those are the tales of broodiness here. So far, the bug hasn't spread to any other hens. Hopefully we can keep it that way!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom