A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

RetiredRon do you post from a computer or cell phone?

Everyone has to root for Cha Cha with a name like that,

Ron good luck on the rooster, I hope he makes it.

The turkey was ok, I was not all that happy with my choice of buttered flavoring, and, as always, it seems when the turkey should have been eaten, all Double hockey sticks broke out here. It started to down pour, I had to get the CX's inside and fed, The turkeys and chickens decided last night was the night to have a massive protest and refuse to go in. The lavender hen took me on a 40 miles run around the farm, I gave her my blessings and wished her well with the predators and left her outside. My Iphone was sitting in my truck, but I had left the window open so it got rained on, I think it is toast now.

It was getting late and we needed our Powerball ticket, so we kept the turkey on warm in the oven, went and got the ticket from the adult beverage store where we picked up a little something to go with the turkey.

Just one of those days.

Charmed....I'm rooting for ChaCha!
Friend of mine is married to a chef. When he heard I had laying turkey hens he offered me 4.00 per egg. Being a good friend, I gave them a pile & got the most delicious pound cake in return. I had no idea what a rare & valued commodity a turkey egg was to a baker! Did some research & found out the going price per egg is 3.50 to 5.00 per egg. Who knew?

:eek: Going rate for a turkey egg is....holy cow!

More likely it is a dominance thing. Both the hens and toms will want the highest place in the pecking order that they can get.

I had a trio of BBBs a long time ago. One hen was much larger than the other and assumed dominance over both the other hen and the tom. Once the tom reached a stage where he felt the need for dominance, he and the dominant hen fought all day long for 3 days in a row until he was able to establish dominance over that hen. Once the fight was settled there was no more fighting among the three of them.

Young turkeys as they grow up pass through different stages of dominance and have many fights until they get it settled. Of course a change in the flock can start it all over again. New additions will usually be picked on by the turkey that is the lowest in the pecking order. Removal of a dominant turkey can also really upset things.

Good luck.

Thanks! The dominant tom will be gracing our table in a couple of months, so hopefully with just one tom things get sorted out quickly.

Charmed....I'm rooting for ChaCha!
Friend of mine is married to a chef. When he heard I had laying turkey hens he offered me 4.00 per egg. Being a good friend, I gave them a pile & got the most delicious pound cake in return. I had no idea what a rare & valued commodity a turkey egg was to a baker! Did some research & found out the going price per egg is 3.50 to 5.00 per egg. Who knew?
The rate for fertile eggs for hatching can be even higher depending on supply and demand.

Charmed - I hope that once ChaCha is all healed up, she can put everyone back in their place (no more picking on the chicken)!

Ron - I hope that your rooster pulls through, sounds like he was pretty hurt.

Ralphie - wow, you had a rough night! Last year I dropped my iphone in sink of water and it turned back on after drying completely. Maybe yours will work again after it dries....

I hope Cha Cha makes a quick recovery and pushes her way back in to the flock seamlessly!

Ron- Sounds like a rough day. I hope all your birds recover.

What a day Ralph. I had one of those the other day. One where you feel like you should just have a beverage and crawl into bed and wait to start over again the next day.
I hope today goes more smoothly!

I hope this is a picture of my Turkeys. . To see if any one can tell me any thing about them.. I put an wrap I bought on vacation for my ankles and knees around... I think.. her leg and bandaged her toes with toothpicks. She is still limping but straightening her toes now. I don't have them named at all.. considering three stooges names.

Bob...your correct about fertile eggs being worth more. Apparently that is why it's hard for chefs to find turkey eggs to bake with. Seems most folks would rather hatch out the eggs vs selling them to chefs. So I have no Tom...just the two girls. I'm sort of happy that the eggs are so valued by a friend. Of course the baked goods is the other thing making me happy! :D

Ralph...hoping your lavender hen made it ok. Sorry blue didn't turn out better. But hey....at least you didn't have to chase those guineas around!

Back
Top Bottom