A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I'm going to say that this experiment was a total fail
sad.png
. The sale turned out great and for perfect. A little too light weight maybe. I even experimented a little by adding the neck band to help make it more visible. I got it on my unwilling victim (Sweet Pea) and she saw it out of the corner of her eye so she started trying to run away from it. That wasn't working and then the boys thought that it wad something attacking her so they started attacking it on her. Think a matador in a bull fight! I managed to catch her and get it off after a chase (I bet we were a sight! 7 turkeys and a human chasing her!) and she lost a few feathers in the ordeal (mostly from me catching her in her panic). Everyone is fine now and back to normal, now that the offending intruder is gone. I think I may just make them all orange, velcro on neck bands instead. That should stand out and not be too troublesome (I hope)

They tell us that animals can't distinguish the fluorescent orange color which is why they require it for hunters as a safety precaution. I had a neighbor back east who had a dairy. When his barnyard fence boards were painted white the cows would eventually break though the fence and get hit on the road. After he painted the fence boards fluorescent orange the cows would not even go near the fence. It saved him a lot of fence repairs and kept his cows in.

Turkey saddles are very similar to the shape that you made and I have never had any fuss over the saddle being on the hens other than the effort to get it there in the first place. I have to believe that it is the color of the material that set your birds off.

When they tell me that animals can't see certain colors, I no longer believe them.

Good luck.

Oh no! Poor Sweetpea! I'm still giggling thinking about the great chase! Back to the drawing board!

R2elk. ..that's interesting about the fence post colors.

Aurora - I'm sorry the turkeys didn't like the vest....but your post made my day - I can picture the chase
lau.gif
I had no idea that colors would get them going like that!

I have a neighbor who set his turkeys off by wearing a different than normal color, I believe in his case it was a bright blue jacket. Another woman that I know had her tom attack her for no apparent reason other than the possibility that she wore a color that day that she had never worn around him before.

I know that I can set my guineas off by wearing something that I don't normally wear around them whether it is a different color or having a jacket on after not wearing one all summer..

I have a neighbor who set his turkeys off by wearing a different than normal color, I believe in his case it was a bright blue jacket. Another woman that I know had her tom attack her for no apparent reason other than the possibility that she wore a color that day that she had never worn around him before.

I know that I can set my guineas off by wearing something that I don't normally wear around them whether it is a different color or having a jacket on after not wearing one all summer..

Setting off Guineas does not count, they are crazy to start with.

Interesting about the different colors setting the turkeys off.

Thanks for the support everybody. I'm not positive that it's the color though. I made just a "necklace" out of the orange fabric and put it on Cupid and they aren't really messing with it at all (except Cupid of course who can feel it and managed to pull it off already). I thought for sure my turkeys would be weird around me yesterday when I went outside with glasses on for the first time ever... they just picked them off my fave and tried to eat them lol

Ralph suggested trying that wash out hair spray color. Think we could spray their wings orange? Sure wish we could design little flack jackets!

Charlie didn't like when I wore flannel the other day.
I did read that turkeys have excellent vision and can see the phosphorus from your laundry soap in your clothes. I think like seeing in black light but in the day...
Loved the YouTube video Aurora! And the vests are still a good idea just need fine tuning!

Back
Top Bottom