A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    :lau

2. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I feel your pain lol! I thought I was being smart and covered my earring with my hand to avoid "turkey removal" and she bit the top of my ear - dang, I felt that for several days!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I make sure I have no jewelry in any of my piercing when I play with the turkeys....

I just went out and talked to my CX's. It is hard to be with them much right now, knowing Saturday they are headed to freezer camp.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Beings an jewelry free human, I have not had this problem, but Last year I thought I would hold some BOSS for Ethel so she could eat out of my hand....

I only did it once. Ethel has poor depth perception, I thought she was going to drive her beak through my hand.

5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

Ouch!! Turkules is actually very gentle with his beak - so I was pretty surprised when a 9 week old could bring tears to my eyes (and put a new piercing in my ear). I've become decidedly more cautious about giving them shiny "targets" now lol.

6. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Today was the first day this fall that I put on my white jacket with veil to check on the bee's honey production. I had a good laugh when the young turkeys freaked out and made mad dashes to get away from the monster.

BTW I pulled 4 supers full of honey so now I have even more work to do.

7. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

:gig
    The scary monster in white!

It's amazing how much work there is to do in the fall.....

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    R2elk..I probably would have run screaming too if I saw you in bee gear for the first time!! What all do you do with the honey? Bees are so interesting. I learned a lot of things about them at a gardening seminar that I never knew.

We'll Ralph...didn't realize you were so close to Freezer Camp Day. How many will be going to camp?

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have 60 signed up for the bus trip.

10. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The honey my bees produce is so much better than anything that you can buy in a store that there is a very big demand for the honey my bees make. Between relatives and friends, I only manage to keep enough for cooking purposes. It is a super light colored honey that is even better than pure sweet clover honey. What really sucks is that I can't have any to just eat myself because honey is after all just pure sugar and I have diabetes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by