A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I worry less about my birds in winter. Our summer heat kills. Our mild winters are no issue. Same with my dogs.

An artist friend of mine is painting Daisy. She asked, saying she loves to paint ugly birds. Hmmm....never considered turkeys ugly. This ought to be interesting....

Tommorow I reduce my three toms to one tom! Esther is going to be quite sad all day, although my son is quite happy that big red tom was selected for the pot this year and his son, Dronah, is the new head tom. Big red has been getting more intimidating to the kids as he gets older, and he doesn't get along with my son at all.
My kids' lapper, Ablyn(I don't name them, ask Esther) may be a hen, but I'm not sure. If it is a she, that would be fantastic! My confusion comes from the fact that Ablyn's dam may be a cross between a burbon red tom and a royal Palm hen, and Ablyn's sire is a burbon red. The f1 hens all have the light lacing, and the toms of the f1 have no lacing. Ablyn has wierd, indeterminate lacing, but isn't as dark as a Jake. Still guessing lil' jenny, especially since I want her to be.

My confusion comes from the fact that Ablyn's dam may be a cross between a bourbon red tom and a royal Palm hen, and Ablyn's sire is a bourbon red.
As long as the father or mother was not carrying any hidden recessive color genes the cross between a Bourbon Red tom and a Royal Palm hen will produce all Red Bronze hens carrying the Black Winged Bronze gene and the Gray gene (Semi-Color) and all Red Bronze toms carrying the Black Winged Bronze gene, the Gray (Semi-Color) and the Narragansett gene. Using a Red Bronze hen from this generation (bb1 Ccg Rr) with a Bourbon Red tom can produce a number of different configurations among which are Bourbon Reds, Red Bronzes and Red Bronze Color Semi-Gray.

Perhaps "Ablyn" is a bb1 Ccg rr.

If the Bourbon Red tom happened to be one that was carrying a Black Winged Bronze gene (very common) and a Narragansett gene then all kinds of possibilities exist.

IMG_0280.JPG

Here are my 'kids' a couple months ago when we kept them in the shop. we knew it was about time to put them in an enclosure outside because all they wanted to do was perch. :) I just thought I'd share ;)

Both of our ladies have the beautiful neck scarves goin all the way to their noggin now too. Esther is finally growin her feathers back and boy does she look pittiful underneath lol! No fluffy bum for her right now just pins and on her lady boobees too. Poor gal. Myrtle is just a ball of fluff. And cletis finally has a beautiful set of tail feathers... cept for one.

here are 4 of mine.. one other nari tom isn't in the pic.. he is for dinner along w/ a couple of these
View attachment 1189264
good looking boys:thumbsup I need a warm day so I can process extra toms and cockerels, but trying to wait until the last batch is ready. I still don't know what I'm going to do. Thinking about thinning my breeds. RPs are my preferred bird but not hardy here. BRs are gorgeous but no hens. And they are bigger. IDK, but will figure it out.

good looking boys:thumbsup I need a warm day so I can process extra toms and cockerels, but trying to wait until the last batch is ready. I still don't know what I'm going to do. Thinking about thinning my breeds. RPs are my preferred bird but not hardy here. BRs are gorgeous but no hens. And they are bigger. IDK, but will figure it out.
why aren't the rp hardy there?...
I only have one hen so I have to pick a spare jake along w/the nari tom to keep until spring anyway

Back
Top Bottom