A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    MM...that is a gorgeous picture! Calendar worthy! You need to submit it next year.

My girls coop at night. They are good about it, but they also get a treat when they go in. Daisy can jump my 6 foot fence. Usually when she has to lay. But she is a complete drama queen when she has to lay so I keep her in her coop/pen until shes done. If she's not close to laying she won't go anywhere. Annie has never tried to jump any fence. However she still likes to lay her eggs in the chickens nest box. Why she crams herself in there is beyond me.

Tommy NEEDS a girlfriend or three! :D. Bet that will keep him home!

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Took some pics of my flock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These black mottled hens are my favorites. The one with the most white is 2 years old, her name is "Momma Turkey" because she is the mother of all the other black mottleds and royal palms, she calls for me whenever she sees me coming. Her daughter, in the center, is Clarise, she thinks I'm her boyfriend and gets as close as she can to me, pressing her neck and head into my chest to get as close as possible.

3 people like this.
  3. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    I love the pics of your turkeys. I always marvel at their colours.

We processed the last 8 of our 5.5 months old Jakes yesterday. They were very active birds, loved flying so I wasn't surprised at no fat between them. We averaged 9lbs dressed out, and despite having a cocci outbreak at 6 weeks they were very healthy indeed.

4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    MM - that is such a beautiful picture, I agree with Memphis - submit it next year!

I do coop my turkeys at night and they are fine with it. We just made it routine and they seem to expect it. We have lots of predators, so it's more for my peace of mind than theirs :lol:

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Momma Turkey is beautiful. The whole flock is gorgeous!

Dragon Lady. ..9 pounds seems great for birds not even 6 months old.

I'll have to weigh my girls. Little heifers.

6. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    That's quite interesting. They're all different. Tommy's rather subdues today having been penned up. What kind of treats do you give?

7. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Very beautiful and nice stories/bios. Thank you for sharing!

8. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

My 5 really like dried mealworms as treats!

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    It was so nice out this evening neighbors brought over a pizza & we decided to eat on the deck. I went in to get beers and I guess Daisy hopped the gate and stole a piece of pizza right off someone's plate. She ran back to her yard & hopped the fence with it in her beak. I came back outside in time to see that. But the funniest thing was her running through the yard with every chicken in the flock running after her. She apparently snatched it so fast the guy didn't even realize she was there.

Goronson...mine like BOSS, (black oiled sunflower seeds) and love raisins. They will try anything I offer. Looked like they really enjoyed that pizza.

10. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    I'll try that! I've been feeding grapes - he eats a little piece very delicately. Doesn't eat many of them, though. He is eating Poulin Egg Production because that's what our chickens eat. I don't want to feed him grower because we don't want him too fat - we're not eating him - he is strictly pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by