A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Gosh that's funny. I'll try those sunflower seeds & raisins.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Or maybe just order him a pizza.

3. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Ha Ha, good idea. Do any of you eat turkey eggs? If so, how do they taste compared to chicken eggs?

4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Note to self - do not eat pizza with the turkeys outside.....my hoodlums would make off with whatever they thought they could run with lol! Mine have figured out that if they tip over my can of diet coke, they can sneak a few sips before it soaks into the ground.

I'm having a good giggle picturing your girl running away with a slice of pizza!

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    She actually jumped the fence with that pizza. I thought it was a pretty athletic move. Scared the heck out of my friend. She did realize she was there. I didn't know she hopped the fence. I did see her hop back to her yard with the pizza. My sweet girl is a THEIF! :(

Goronson. ..I like turkey eggs as much as chicken eggs! They have a different consistency. They are heavier. Apparently people who bake love to use them because they are richer. I have a few friends who are serious bakers and I usually save the turkey eggs for them. Exchanging turkey eggs for baked goods is a good deal for someone like me....i don't bake.

6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Just out of curiosity and for future reference, in a recipe, would 2 chicken eggs= 1 turkey egg? Better believe I'll be baking with them to try it out lol

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I have no idea. I'll ask my baker friends. I've never even baked cookies. One of them made a squash souffle and she thought they were amazing. I've made frittatas with them. I figured two would equal about three chicken eggs. I've poached them & made omlets. There is a bakers thread here somewhere. Maybe they would know.

8. mairin49

mairin49 New Egg

Jul 19, 2015
    This tread is going interesting I can feel it! I am new to chickens and turkeys. My son purchased meat birds 17 out of the 20 he bought were roosters and I mean mean. We keep one and he is nasty. In addition to the meat hens we have 20 little reddish brown hens all layers no roosters. Oh because of the fighting and viciously attacking the hens we sent 16 roosters to the freezer. My son also purchased two white midget turkeys one Tom and one hen. I hear how people love their chickens and perhaps we choose the wrong types of chickens to have a relationship with but instead I fell in love with my Tom turkey ( the General) and his mate Lady Jane almost immediately. Love turkeys --- can't help my self. In the Spring I hope to get a Bourbon Red Tom and hen and maybe a pair of Palms. I find turkeys smarter than chickens and more personable. My turkeys are pets and free range during daylight. Around dusk chickens and turkeys alike are herded back into their coop (chickens and my turkeys share the coop) to roost for the night for their protection, during the day my dogs protect them. Thank you for starting this new thread I hope to learn a lot

9. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I am sure that you could get by replacing 2 large chicken eggs with one turkey but I replace one chicken egg with one turkey egg. Of course I always used a jumbo chicken egg when a recipe called for a large chicken egg.

10. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    memphis - my birds are bred from Royal Palms and Narrigansett if that makes any difference. My Narri hen Rachel lays huge eggs and then they hatch huge poults compared to my royal palm poults.
    Goronson - My turkeys enjoy BOSS and any soft berries. My tom was highly suspicious of water melon until he saw me eating it lol
    Goronson - Is your boy a BBW for you to be worried about weight gain? I feed all of my birds (chickens/guineas and turkeys) on turkey grower supplementing with crushed oyster shells if they want them. Everyone is in great condition and its rare to get egg issues.
    If I had a BBW as a pet I would want less protein in the feed, I dont like to give birds calcium in feed if they dont need it hence the reason I dont give layer ration ;-)

Turkey eggs taste great! they are much richer than chicken eggs due to the much bigger yolk. I only eat the first few that get laid in Spring then hatch everything else once I see fertility in the eggs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by