A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty I would take one in an instant! She me we aren't closer. :(
    Just spent an hour watching the girls in a dust bath. I spent too much time hanging out with them but they are so funny.

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    My turkeys are not thrilled about not being aloud to free range. They are loving getting corn to snack on though every time I go in with them lol.

I'm flat out exhausted tonight. I managed to make 51 quarts of applesauce today. 42 are canned, the other 9 are becoming apple butter... and there's still more apples! I'll finish up tomorrow. Tonight, done.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow!I love the pictures of everyone's flocks!

I treat mine with roasted meal worms, oatmeal, tomatoes, Greek yogurt and watermelon.

Today Charlie was getting upset with me. Charging at me, thrumming, gobbling, and all fluffed out. I don't think he likes it when I wear a hat or plaid. [​IMG]

4. charmedbaker

Aurora, what the heck? Do you sell the stuff you make? Or are you just prepping?

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Charmed....Charlie may not like plaid, but he does look handsome all fluffed up!

Aurora. ...I'm worn out just thinking about all the applesauce & butter butter you put up today! Wow! I'm impressed.

So I picked up Annie & plopped her in my lap. Daisy hates it. She resorted to pulling my hair to get my attention. Snot. She's is so possessive. I think it makes poor Annie nervous with Daisy circling. Turkeys are so interesting.

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Aurora - my goodness, that is a ton of stuff you have processed! Where do you find the motivation? My motivation ran out a while ago lol.

Charmed - Charlie looks amazing. I've noticed that mine behave differently when I wear something other than my "barn" clothes too. Others did say that they sometimes react to different colors....I guess Charlie is one that doesn't like change :p

Memphis - poor jealous Daisy! Turkeys have such different personalities and reactions to things. I find them fascinating and so much fun to interact with :)

7. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Always happy to share my experiences :) I love my turkeys <3

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

No we don't sell it. We're just trying to get to the point where we make enough to have for the entire year. It may sound like I've gone overboard but my kids will eat applesauce like there's no tomorrow! Lol. Besides, if I have extra next fall, that's less I'll have to can then ;)

Thanks. I definitely slept good last night. I'm already at it again this morning but there's a light at the end of the tunnel. There's only a few apples left in the bottom of each bag now :)

I have to dig for it lol. I have a horrible habit of buying from the Amish and thinking "that's not too much" but then I swear it all multiplies when I bring it in the house :/ By then, I have no choice but to get through it all before things start going bad.

These were all the apples before I started yesterday morning.

[​IMG]

9. charmedbaker

Good morning! Turkey is gobbling. Time to feed and clean the coop room and run. Turkey gobble is much better to wake up to than rooster crow. In my opinion. Have a great day!

10. charmedbaker

Aurora, that's like 870 pounds of apples! How many kids do you have?! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by