A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. I am grasping too. Charlie is 6 months old. Chacha is a super chicken. She already lost a foot and ran away from home bleeding when I rescued her. Can't believe she is getting picked on.

In the town near me we have a place called Rooster Creek. People have been known to drop their unwanted roosters off there. It is a creek that runs through the village of Arroyo Grande. It has a lovely bridge from the town side to the neighborhood. They have farmers market on Saturday in the parking lot and park next to the creek and bridge. The wild roosters come and hang out, some hide. When you park, you never know who is going to come say hello or chase you. A friend joked that wouldn't it be funny to leave Charlie there. No. I would not do that to Any pet, rooster or turkey. But if I imagined for a moment... Holy crap that would be a great video of him coming up to people for snacks!

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I remember Chacha ' s story. She certainly doesn't need to be picked on. Seems she's been through a lot in her little life. Is that the only chicken he picks on? I hate to see you have to get rid of him.:(

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Although it would be funny at the bridge if he came out to beg food! :lol: I can just imagine people's reactions!

4. charmedbaker

Memphis, I saw him pick on an old rhoad island red too, but she got away with a feather plucking.

He is as big as my lab, Maggie and is quite intimidating when full strut and thrumming. People would freak!! The best candid camera ever!

But it is illegal to dump birds there and mean to the bird. The city had to do a catch and re-home project and moved over a hundred birds.

5. charmedbaker

Holm, those are some good looking birds!

Mountain Mom, maybe the fox ate the raccoons too.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Will it stay open between the slats like that all winter? Just curious. I'm shopping for a turkey house for our one and only Tommy.

7. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    So sorry about that. Let us know when you figure out why this is happening.

8. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    I just remembered something from years ago. It's drastic but might work. Dog shock collar and a clicker. You use the clicker to warn the Tom when he is attacking your disabled hen and then shock. The theory is that soon you can use just the clicker with no shock necessary and the animal will stop the behavior when he hears the clicker. Rather drastic, but sometimes desperate situations require desperate means.

Maybe someone else knows about a different kind of behavioral training for birds?

9. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Thanks. It's an old corn crib/chicken coop that's probably older than I am.

I'll be adding a tarp to the back of it as that is were the prevailing winds come from in that location so the tarp should provide some relief from that. But other than covering that part up the rest will stay open all winter. It makes for great ventilation.

10. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    We're in Maine, so I've been looking for a larger chicken coop with a big pop door. It gets 20 below during the winter, but maybe I'm being too careful. Of course, he is alone - so, no other turkeys to snuggle with just yet. Thank you for sharing the logic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by