A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    I love this coop, do they actually use that ladder? How cold does it get during your winters?

2. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Memphis I think turkeys are trainable. I teach young poults to be herded either with a grass rake or my open arms.The method depends on how many poults and how fast they are running lol. Learn to think like a turkey and you are the head turkey.
    They learn that my white bucket has treats in it and will follow me all over the yard until I give them something lol

It takes much longer for them to learn to put themselves away in the coop at bedtime, but I would go out just before the light changes and put them in, I even carried my tom into the coop when it was pitch black one night and I got home late.

Did I mention how much I love my turkeys :)

3. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Dragon Lady,
    I only have one turkey, Charlie. I have 6 chickens. 3 are over 3 yrs old; 3 are 6 months old that I got when I got Charlie. They were all one day old. Now Charlie and his harem stay together and the old ones stay together.
    Charlie seems to be picking on ChaCha, my little rescued bantam. He ripped the fluffy feathers from her head. [​IMG]

4. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Honestly I have no clue if they use the ladder or not. I have a similar one built for the chickens to get in and out of there coop and they use it all the time. Our average winter here is probably lows in low teens and highs in the low 30's. Although last winter was brutal with a lot of days of below zero.

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Oh geez....Poor Chacha! :(

6. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Poor ChaCha!
    My guess is that Charlie is going through a hormonal phase. Dinner did something similar. He was put in a pen by himself. Tomahawk would fly in and hang out with him. He was nice to her, but he was really aggressive with the chickens. He was never too aggressive with me, but man did he do some serious strutting and thumping.
    He would stop when I would pet him.

I agree that turkeys can be trained. Banshee knows all sorts of things. He knows his name, gentle, get down, and do you want a treat.

But in your case with Charlie, not being able to be there and correct his behavior, it may not get better. One thing you should do is show him you are the boss and when he puffs up and thumps at you, push his head down. Do it every single time he puffs up at you.

I am pretty curious about Ralph. I hope he is just busy with preparing for his 9 month winter!

7. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

When I try to pet him he dodges away. I don't let him think he is in charge. I shoo him out of the way when he gets like that.
    I do work from home, but I do actually work; I'm not outside so I will have to train him like I did with my son and my dogs. Treats and my "Mom's Cranky Voice". The kid turned out pretty good and the dogs behave.

So, where is Ralph? Last I saw he had a cold. He was making a concoction of schnapps and something else...

1 person likes this.
  8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ok...that's it. I'm venturing north of the Mason Dixon to the Minnesota thread to I quirk about Ralphie. I report back. :D

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Charmed - poor ChaCha! I hope you are able to figure out something workable for Charlie.

Turkules is starting to think of my chickens as females that he's interested in, so I'm going to be separating everyone as quickly as possible. The second run area is almost done, so the chickens will have a turkey-free run soon! He hasn't hurt anyone but I'm starting to see that it could happen. He was on top of my Cochin hen yesterday - she didn't seem to mind but yikes!

it seems weird not to see anything from Ralphie for a few days.

1 person likes this.
  10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I just posted on the Minnesota thread asking them what they did with Ralphie. Just hoping those guineas didn't do him in. :lau

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by