A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    So I stalked Ralph and he was on BYC a day ago... so he didn't die. Or get taken over by the delinquent poultry... unless they are posing as him on BYC.

Charmed- I sure hope you figure out something with Charlie. I know how hard it can be. Maybe just separate him? Or get him a female turkey?
    Once Banshee stopped trying to woo Tomahawk, Dinner was much nicer.

On a slightly different note, now that Banshee has a new Tomahawk, he has been a bit of a butt to me! He must be embarrassed at being a mommas boy. He won't let me pick him up without a large amount of squawking and flapping.
    So shameful to have your mom lick her hand and smooth down your cowlick in front of your girlfriend.

Tomorrow I am bringing home 4 new hens. We have not had fresh eggs since the middle of September. The poor girls have been on strike because of molting and stress from the dang dog that tried to eat them all.
    We have a Barnevelder we got this spring as a chick who has yet to lay... and she didn't molt. Or get attacked by the dog. Sigh. I love those dang girls, but I love fresh eggs. I am getting impatient.

As deadly as it seemed since we haven't heard from Ralph since he concocted a beverage to help his cold, I am going to make a hot cocoa with cinnamon and peppermint schnapps. They really are delicious. And good cold too with chocolate milk.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ooohhhh! That coco & schnapps sounds wonderful! Unfortunately it's still 80 something down here, so it's a cold beer for me. Sighhhh...

So I've been conversing with the Minnesota thread folks. They have NOT heard from Ralphie. Speculation is:

He was going fishing and hunting. However no one thinks he could have possibly hauled enough Peruvian coffe, Mikes & peaches for a week in the woods. He must have run out of coffee and Mikes. Decided to ferment the remaining peaches, there by attracting the attention of Sasquatch. Speculation runs wild at this point. My thought is they must be planning their trip to Memphis to hang with Elvis. :rolleyes:

3. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    MM....my Barnevelders are pretty decent layers....once the start! They are 3 years old now and still laying almost daily. They were hatched in February. They had a HORRIBLE first molt that fall. All turkeys and chickens still laying with no molts in sight. Kind of weird.

LOL...sounds like Banshee is trying to impress his new girl. Guess he figures she won't fall for a mom's boy. How is the new hen doing? Is she friendly?

I want a tom...but it's so zen right now with all the hens...i need to really think this through.

4. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Good to know! That darn girl better start laying!
    I was even looking up Barnevelder roos last night just to be sure I had a hen. She also has spur bumps on her legs... unusual. But she looks nothing like a roo.
    Kind of like a turkey hen with a beard, I guess.

I hope Ralph didn't succumb to a terrible bout of "not enough coffee and smoothies" while hunting.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I just hope Sasquatch didn't run off with him!
    I can't remember how old my Barnevelders were when they started laying. But I really like them. Still consistent layers at 3!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I let the turkeys out for a while today. They've been cooped up for a week and I felt bad lol. They're enjoying being out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cupid is being a butthead and following Able all over the place, challenging him. Able is just ignoring him completely lol

[​IMG]

The girls have no time for that silliness. They need a dust bath!

[​IMG]

And the chickens have invaded the turkey coop to clean up any spilled food in there. You know it tastes so much better than their own!

1 person likes this.
  7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Aww, they look happy AND so do the chickens! I'm in Sg. Louis visiting family. Miss my girls. My chicken sitter won't let them free range. She's intimidated by them. So I know I have two very sad turkeys. :(

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Turkey have such silly behaviors and need to know who is the boss! lol
    Your chickens have to see if they missed anything. lol

9. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Thought I would drop in over here and Let You all know just heard from Ralphie... He is alive...we can call off the search party,,

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Well thank goodness! I was about to buy a plane ticket to Duluth to start searching him out.
    Instead I will have a schnapps beverage to celebrate that he is still alive.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by