A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Feisty and Memphis,
    Thank you for the advice. Someone on this thread seemed to indicate that their Tom got crotchety with them once he had a girl. Is that common? He's very sweet right now.
    Goronson

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Goronson, Or you could do what I do and ask R2Elk. I get confused on the calculator. what color babies do you want?

If you want to travel halfway across the country I could spare a hen. Maybe instead of a girlfriend your turkey just needs a buddy. I can spare lots of them. I will be going out shortly to look at my birds, I have not seen them in 11 days, they were in bed when I got home last night. I can see if my DW killed that little A-H Penguin.

3. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Hi Ralphie,
    I am looking more for temperament than with the potential color offspring, although I think that calculator is really cool. I'd like a calm, sweet hen for him because they will have to live inside our big chicken run (that's where Tommy resides now) and not pick on our chickens.

I put up fencing at first and as he got used to the Cream Legbars he didn't bother them as much. Our Marans birds and our original flock are still sectioned off from him. The Marans are much slower and easier going than the Legbars, who are quick moving- Marans are easier to get picked on. Tommy has a pretty big beak which could easily damage a skull.

Any advice on temperament? Thank you!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have all my turkeys and most chickens together. I have not had a problem. Temperament is kind of a crap shoot. They all have such different personalities. The only real butt hole turkey we have is Penguin. I think my DW spoiled him too much. If he wasn't her favorite and so darn cute, I would invite him to thanksgiving dinner.

Having Penguin for dinner could upset the Mrs a tad.

I keep my creamettes separate from my other birds. They are kind of high strung.

5. Goronson Chicks

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    [​IMG] I'll hope then that I get a nice calm girl.

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    The other day my tom was breeding my only 6 month old hen and then yesterday she laid an egg!!!

7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    So much for the hens waiting until the longer days of spring, huh!

I'm getting 3 eggs a day from my 4 young Midget White hens (out of 6 that hatched last Feb/March). The other 2 are co-broodies on 17 eggs that are due to hatch in 2 weeks. I candled a few and they are developing. I've had lots of broody chickens hatch and raise chicks, but this is my first time with turkeys.

Are 2 hens likely to do ok with the chicks when they hatch, or will there be fighting/jealousy?
    It's starting to get cold here, is a first time turkey momma likely to keep all the babies warm and fed, or should I remove and hand rear some of them (if a lot hatch) ?

8. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    How exciting my 3 babies are only 4 months old, so I don't expect any eggs until spring.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

And my second turkey egg I have ever gotten!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Holm, I am thinking you messed up when your turkeys were younger and instilled some real psych problems into them. It will take years of therapy for them to live normal productive turkey lives!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by