A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph I hate to say it but I think your right. Theu think they are chickens!! They started laying at the same time their chicken brood mates did!!

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Holm- Ralph is right. Start therapy! How cool that you are getting eggs though!

Goronson- I agree with Ralph, yet again. The hen temperament will be a crap shoot. But, if you are getting him a full grown hen, you can at least check out the personality a bit before choosing. Tommy will love any friend you bring to him!
    Banshee has become a bit of a butt since I got him a new hen, but it seems to be wearing off.
    He sat in my lap for 30 or so minutes last night when he didn't think Tomahawk (the hen) was looking. While he was snoozing, she sidled up and sat at my feet for a snooze. I love turkeys.

Ralph- How did Penguin fare while you were gone? Did he decide to leave the thug life yet? Or will he continue a life of criminal activity that will ultimately end in his demise? He might really want to get out of the gang... he just needs witness protection.

So I have a chicken question. I recently brought home 4 more layers, taking the total number of chickens we have up to 9. Yesterday afternoon I was picking everyone up and giving them love and checking them for any issues. I noticed that the two EE we brought home in August (they were 2 or 3 months old then) are very likely roos. No crowing yet from either. I have suspected one from day one, but was okay with a roo if that was how it worked out. The other does not have curved over tail feathers, but most certainly has spur bumps. Pokey ones. My Barnevelder has them too, but hers are not pokey.
    Anyhow, long story to ask a very quick question. 2 roos to 7 hens... I will need more hens. Yes?

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    MM u have a good excuse for more hens now!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I was in the turkey coop for a while today and Pebbles was so happy to get some lovins. She cuddled up to me and wiggled her head and neck up under my arm. She had no desire to leave. Since I was squatting down though, my feet were falling asleep eventually so I had to leave her. I felt bad leaving her though. She always walls in front of me and wiggles up sideways against me for cuddles. At one point, I had her there, sweet Pea against her and Eve against the outside of my leg. I think my girls are really missing cuddle time but I can't get out there often lately. You know, it's funny, it's only my older girls that are so affectionate and cuddly. I think it may be because when they were babies, I would get them all out of the brooder every evening for about a half hour and lay with them and they would all cuddle up against me and go to sleep lol. The youngest girls only got to cuddle one or twice before they all moved out to the garage brooder.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Yes.

6. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Definitely yes! [​IMG]

7. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    In our case roos are getting along if they were raised together or are brothers. Our 2 Cream Legbar roosters even try to mate the same hen at the same time - they both pile on top of her. [​IMG] Those two have 6 hens.

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

My two lead roos (I have 5 roos at the moment and 21 hens) take turns. One will do his thing and before he hops off, my other roo grabs ahold and hops on. The first will hold her for the second until he gets his grip.

9. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Geez...ya'all have some randy roosters! I understood that somewhere in the range of 10 hens per one rooster is the ratio most folks use. I had six hens to one Speckled Sussex roo but he preferred one hen in particular. Poor girl. I did rehome him. I think all my girls are happier.

MM nothing like a sleeping lap turkey! Banshee sounds like such a sweetie and how cool that the new Tomahawk is becoming so friendly!

And Aurora, love that your hens are mobbing you for attention. Turkeys are the coolest! I was gone over the weekend. Didn't get home till dusk last night. Of course I had to check on the girls and they both hopped off the roost to greet me. I really missed them.

Goronson. ..just go get a hen. Neither of mine where lap turkeys when I got them. I caught one in the middle of rush hour traffic & the other was running wild in a field. Both are now sweetheart lap birds. I spent lots of time with them. Earned their trust & now they are both super friendly. And just fun to have around! !

10. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    He he - Memphis is right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by