A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I'm south of you in Western PA so it's gets cold here as well. I've heard from different people that as long as you keep them from getting wet they should be okay during the winter. I mean if you really think about it with wild turkeys they don't have much shelter during the winter and they seem to do fine.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Your right Chaos. Poor wild turkeys roost in all types of weather. From what I read here a lot of folks turkeys prefer to roost in the open in all weather. Ventilation is the key, from what I understand. It's the built up humidity that causes the problems. Of course I live in the south and if it gets in the 20 ' s we think we are dying. Our gloves are purely decorative. It's the heat that kills down here.

Goronson...i think the most important part of any kind of training or behavior modification is consistency. That may be hard to achieve with a turkey.

Turkey behavior is so interesting. I've only had the girls since July and I'm facinated. I've competitively trained dogs for 30 years so I may be over analysing my turkeys behavior. However, from what I've read & observed with my girls is that they are rather trainable.

3. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine

Yes you are right. Nervous new mom. Never had a turkey before. [​IMG]

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    We were considering little turkey leggings for those long skinny legs & knitted snoods for their necks. Aurora was all set to design something! R2elk talked us out of it! Actually we were just being silly. But Aurora did try an orange vest on one of hers with disastrous, but hugely funny results! She tried it after one of Ralphie ' s young birds got shot by a hunter.

RALPH ...where are you??

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Speaking of Ralphie. ...i was thinking about posting on the Minnesota thread to see if they know where he is.

6. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Goronson, training my Turkey is a good idea and the shock collar worked for the dog. But I gotta work and can't be there observing all day.
    I think he would be better off with a new job as 4H project.

Chaos, that is a nice coop. We don't worry too much about the cold here. If it gets into the 20s here, the world is going to end. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little. :)

7. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    I'm not sure I replied. They just turned 3 months. They have an odd bark sound I only hear when they get scared. .. I had a hawk attack my flock and lost two pullets. One three months and one 6 months and laying really good.
    I'm pretty sure the small one was a hawk, but I think the 6 month old might have been a dog. No free range for awhile.. I hope my turkeys and chickens get along for a couple weeks in the same pin

8. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013

9. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR

It's obvious I'm new with turkeys. My hen hatched the eggs and they have been going in a pin since they hatched.

Some nights I have a time with these three stooges, as they seem to forget how to get in.

One night, I only had one in the pen, it was really dark and the search was on... after about an hour, I found them in the way back yard... seemingly lost... they normally stay real close to each other with one of my other chicks..

10. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks :) Thomas, Rachel and Queenie are my true pets around here.

I love it when Thomas goes all skinny and puts his snood away when there are treats around, and he makes a sound "Dooo-do. Dooo-do". He is very sweet.

I think I missed your turkey setup Charmed, is Cha Cha with other hen turkeys? I'm putting my thinking cap on about Charlies behaviour

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by