A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Only 2 lol. We brought home 4 bushels of apples (I think?). I just finished up the sauce this morning and totaled 70 quarts :)

2. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    [​IMG]
    Finally got the turks moved into there permanent coop yesterday. T-Bone (the tom hiding behind the ladder) was surprisingly heavy.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ohhh...I love a gobble! All's my hens do is bark at me like seals!

Chaos....that pen is really nice!!

Aurora....seriously 70 quarts! Wow. That's serious!

4. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Hey all!
    I think Ralph must have been taken out by his cold. Or the delinquent turkeys overran the house!

I love all the new pics! Welcome to the new people on the thread!

Memphis- Your story is hilarious! I can just see it..

Aurora- I am exhausted thinking of all your processing! I finally gave up on the tomatoes. We have a ton left on the vines, but as they ripen I am putting them in the freezer. Much easier.
    All I have left to do are carrots and beets. They can wait a while until I find my motivation again!

Nothing new here, just trying to convince the turkeys to stop sleeping on the pergola beam. They have a great roost, nice and high in their pen area. But they really like to guard the house.

We are still hunting the fox... he must still be full from a brunch of turkey... he won't take the bait. We haven't even trapped a raccoon. I find it odd.

5. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All,
    Well, it's time to say Good bye Charlie.
    About an hour after my morning post talking about how great it is to wake up to a turkey gobble, Charlie attacked Chacha. He chased her away from the food dish and down to the end of the coop and ripped the fluffy feathers right out of her head. Tore a hole in her skin again like last month. She is in the dog carrier, resting. Charlie was even aggressive with me yesterday. Charging at me and making all kinds of noise. I thought it was because I was in flannel and a hat. But he did it again this morning then attacked Chacha.

He has to find a new home. I can't risk the other girls.
    Any ideas on re-homing him would be great. Or what I can do to keep him. Isolation doesn't seem fair to him.

Do vets perform vasectomies on turkeys? Would it help reduce his aggression?

Is he attacking Chacha because she is the smallest or because she has one foot?

6. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Sorry to hear about your issues with Charlie. I would process him in a heart beat and not feel guilty about it. No room for aggressive anything here.
    I just processed a roo that tried to dominate me. I called him Meat Loaf lol
    My tom Thomas is a gentleman. He never gets aggressive even when I'm handling his poults and they yell their little heads off. In fact he didnt even puff and display in the last couple of months since he's been a dad. Such a great tom.
    This is Thomas just as he started to moult.
    [​IMG]

7. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Impressive Tom Dragon Lady!

Right now, the flock is out for their afternoon ranging. Charlie is docile, curious and sweet.little stinker.

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Charmed...I'm sorry about Charlie. And I really hate ChaCha is hurt again. How old is Charlie? Is he going through an adolescent thing? How about getting him a friend. I'm just grasping.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some pics...

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Hey mountain mom! I've been wondering what happened to Ralphie too. What are you baiting you trap with? It is odd you haven't caught anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by