A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Some pics of my turkey pouts ..... not great pics but cute
20180522_182658.jpg
20180522_182807.jpg

Do any of you sell butchered turkeys for Thanksgiving? I just put an ad up to put orders in for them and already have takers. How much a lb for broad breasted and do you take a down payment or holding fee or anything. Im guessing Id get something before butcher day but not sure if thats normal? Thanks in advance!

Was a few doors down talking to a neighbor. Girls hanging out grazing. Handed her a few BOSS, told her to keep 'em busy while I ran down to the house to get her some eggs. Was half way home when they saw me. Oh the screaming & flapping! Boy were they trucking. When they are motivated they can really move out! Daisy decided to take to the air. It's a weird feeling to make eye contact with your Turkey as she flys by six inches from your head. So that was a fail. Such moma babies!

I absolutely love your suburban turkey stories! They give such an image LoL

I gave the poult to someone local who wanted a pet and has had special needs poultry before.

Question: if my eggs I’ve been saving up for incubation sat in our 78 degree house for a few hours today is that going to make them have crap for hatchability? Guess worst case I have another terrible hatch...

More, they should be fine.

Do any of you sell butchered turkeys for Thanksgiving? I just put an ad up to put orders in for them and already have takers. How much a lb for broad breasted and do you take a down payment or holding fee or anything. Im guessing Id get something before butcher day but not sure if thats normal? Thanks in advance!

You just need be very careful if you butcher yourself. If anyone gets sick they will blame you. The best thing to do is take them to a usda facility and have them butchered. Or label them not for human consumption. We have given them away to close friends and never had any problems and eaten many many birds we processed ourselves. But selling to the public is a whole different ballgame imo.

I am diggin that coop. What is on the outside of the cattle panel?
thanks
1/2" hardware cloth, and since I am paranoid about predators, 2x4 field fencing. The 22 mill tarp is clear(sort of) . The end has 6 mill plastic stapled and tucked under the tarp that I take off for summer...There are several places that sell the tarps and they are all from the same manufacturer when I get them... so I look at price and shipping costs. I use simmilar bungee balls to the end of this link. But I got them from amazon. https://www.canopiesandtarps.com/clear-tarp-10x16.html
I put shade cloth over the tarps for summer
I have 4 of these hoop coops. one is 8x 24' ish and the other three are 8x8 ish

That is an awesome hoop coop! I noticed too... I found this on You-tube "P Allan Smith builds turkey house", anyone care to critique? (I know all on here have a lot of turkey experience).
I need a real turkey house where they can roost.

You just need be very careful if you butcher yourself. If anyone gets sick they will blame you. The best thing to do is take them to a usda facility and have them butchered. Or label them not for human consumption. We have given them away to close friends and never had any problems and eaten many many birds we processed ourselves. But selling to the public is a whole different ballgame imo.

There is actually a way to do this and be legal about it. You need to have a sticker on each bird package stating it is exempt. it says it is farm processed and all the good stuff on it.

If you have farm insurance or an umbrella policy it should cover any actual damages. Most illness from turkeys is in the cooking and not the raising or processing.

I sell processed birds and have never had a problem. With the proper label the responsibility falls to the buyer for any damages. They would need to prove gross negligence on your part to successfully sue. That is a high bar for them.

I am sure each state is different, but we have fairly strong support for farm products in Minnesota.

Back
Top Bottom