A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

OMG CherMoz! 70's!! We aren't getting below the mid 80's at night. Just miserable. My dogs dont even want to go out! Poor birds all look stressed. There isn't much else I can do for them. Fans, wading pools, shade, cool treats. I think this heat has them stressed enough....hoping they hold off molting till its cooler. They are crabby enough as it is in this heat....

20180722_074511.jpg
look what hatched!

Anyone remember when my hen went broody? :lol: Trying to decide when to give her the boot or let her keep trying. There’s some newer eggs she stole from others though soooo don’t even know how old her eggs are lol.

I don't remember when your hen went broody, but something I have done before to break them is to give them a few eggs from my incubator when it's time for lockdown. They hatch the eggs out (hopefully), and then leave the nest to mother the chicks for a while. (Actually, I've only done this with chickens. I gave them turkey eggs.) You might just wait and let her keep sitting, and if her own eggs haven't hatched by the time your incubator eggs are due, you could try it.

Of course, then you might have to decide what to do about the eggs she's sitting on...

Yesterday a white poult looked unwell, almost 7 wks old. ,, Dead under the roost this morning
:rant:hit
So down to five white (calico?) and eight brown (nari/ bronze?) poults.... Glad I didn't get close to these poults... I would be devastated if they were pets. I have been looking at them as food and that I have more than I need
I see why they say poults are hard to raise.
I guess what makes it to 10 wks should be hearty.
I don't think I will be selling any extra jennies in case I have some disease that might be spread.

they act cold or not well.. fluffed up, hunched over, lethargic ( just sitting around in the sun and/or by themselves) ... normal poop, eating and drinking. .. I put nutri drench in the water when I see this.. may just keep it in until they are 10 wks...need to buy stock in whatever company makes this.. I have 10 waters out that are changed daily, that turkeys can drink from ..

opened her up and everything looks normal, not sure what is going on...
I have had 4 that died with the same symptoms , but one (at almost 8wks) stayed out during a thunderstorm, over 4th of july night.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(. If they're looking tired and droopy, I would treat them for cocci asap. Use corid in their water daily and make sure that it's the only water source available for at least 5 days.

I should have mentioned after the first one, I had 1 and 1/2 tsp corid in the water for 7 days and another one died at 7 days .. Guess I'll start it againView attachment 1474161

well I started everyone on corid friday morning.. 1 and 1/2 heaping teaspoons of powder to a gallon of water... one of the browns with the turkey hen (hatch 6/18) is showing symptoms this morning:he

Update my silver snake was due today
20180722_181247.jpg
yup she managed to hatch at least one! Unfortunately she is none to tame so I don't know about the rest. She was sitting on 11 eggs that I know of, and being locked in its a good bet no one else added to her clutch...... I Can hardly wait till tomorrow to see if I can see any more.

Back
Top Bottom