A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Me either. Heck, I thought Ethel and JJ were blues for a year! I still have no idea what some of their babies are. I think a porters rep could spend a week trying to figure out my birds.

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    For all practical purposes you can forget about sl - recessive slate since there are no known recessive slates in the United States.

Porter's genotype and phenotype page

http://www.porterturkeys.com/phenotypesandgenotypes.htm

Blue Slate = BB Dd
    Lavender (self blue) = BB DD
    Rusty Black = Bb Rr
    Rusty Slate = Bb Dd Rr
    Lilac = bb DD
    Jersey Buff = BB rr

Porter's main page list the common varieties and includes the genotype in the description. It also includes better photos than the genotype/phenotype page. It is more informative because you can use the descriptions to rule out things like recessive slates that are not found in the U.S.

2 people like this.
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks R2elk for helping us genotype challenged! And, as usual, your correct. The main page has much better pictures & information. I was lost on the genotype page and SO confused. :rolleyes:

So do you stick to breeding slates or do you mix types?

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie...I'll agree...you may need professional help identifying your turkey types.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am waiting for R2Elk to make a trip to Minnesota to identify my birds for me. I am sure they will still be here, whenever that is. The people on the Minnesota page have accused me of being a bird addict and refusing help.

I am going to check the home page and see what I think I have. Maybe I have that rare "read expensive" recessive" ( what ever that is).

6. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I now just breed a self blue tom to blue slate hens. By using the self blue tom, I now produce just blue slates and self blues and avoid the black slates. I am aware that other people like black turkeys but I have never been a fan of black poultry. The carcasses from white or light colored poultry just clean up so much better than the ones with black feathers.

At one time I used to raise BBWs and Bourbon Reds but the slates have just done so much better for me.

7. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Sorry Ralph but I no longer even get to go hunting here in Wyoming because I have no one to care for my animals if I were to leave.

I believe that Ethel and JJ are Rusty Slates based on their colors and the multi variety of poults that they produce. I believe that your light colored red turkey is a Jersey Buff because of its parentage and its lighter than Bourbon Red color.

Your turkey that looks like Ethel and JJ but without the dark spots may be as simple as a self blue rusty slate or even possibly a lilac since both of those variations are possible from Rusty Slate parents.

It is possible that at sometime someone could get a mutation to a recessive slate but after all the years that there have not been any recessive slates in the USA, it is not very likely. It would also take a lot of controlled breeding or DNA testing to prove that it is a recessive slate.

Good luck.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Genetics are so interesting. I keep going back to the calculator and plugging in my Slate & Bourbon Red with different toms. Possibilities are endless! But honestly I thing if I get a tom it will be a Slate. I hate just having the two hens. If something were to happen to one I can just picture a crying upset lonely hen. So....that's my excuse for adding another turkey!

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    R2elk....i have to hire a chicken /turkey sitter when I go out of town. Luckily I have a retired person in the neighborhood willing to manage the birds when I'm gone. But I miss them and worry the whole time. :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by