A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I'm sitting here in the brooder with Adam again, working on the trust thing. He's getting better and eats corn from our hands without too much fear now. Hubby and I actualy managed to weigh him today. He's 22-is lbs. I thought he was bigger than that but I guess that's still good sized for a 6 month old that's not a broad breasted variety. He's very jumpy still though. Anytime he hears the screen door slam or one of our quarentined roosters in the next room slam against their creates, he jumps like a monster just popped out from around the corner. He will let me wrap my arms around him and comfort him though when he gets scared :)

1 person likes this.
  2. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    Gorgeous bird

1 person likes this.
  3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]

First Adam and I selfie accomplished! Lol

2 people like this.
  4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Nice picture Adam is good sized at 22 pounds!

I picked up my red Jake this morning. I do not handle my turkeys a lot so they are not use to it. He cried like a baby. When he gave his cry I got the evil eye from Ethel, his biological mother. She puffed up and stared at me and told me in no uncertain terms to leave him alone. When I let him down she was happy again and just quacking away.

Ethel the quacking turkey! It is so funny no matter how often I hear it.

1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Memphis asked what Penguin does that is so bad. Here is an example:

[​IMG]

My wife has a hard and fast rule, "no turkeys on the deck"!

She is adamant about this, she spends hours each day chasing them off. I was getting my outdoor clothes on and looked out the window, this is what I saw.

Penguin thinks he is too good for the rules. He always does. I am keeping this picture to show my wife her dear little Penguin is an ***.

1 person likes this.
  6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Holm...your birds are gorgeous. Good job! Is that a Sweetgrass behind Frosty?

Ralphie. ..Penguin knows he is special. He can't help himself! Think Ethel will be protective of those babies forever? Maybe she's a helicopter parent! :lol:

Aurora. ..that's one BIG baby! Love the selfie. He's a handsome guy. It sounds like he's coming around really well. Can't believe he let's letting you hug him. I see lap turkey in no time!

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Memphis that is my vest wearing BR/RP tom. He also will wear a harness. LOL he is more like my dog. He attacks all my siblings and aunt and uncle. And that is one reason we moved all our poultry to my other grandpas. My aunt put him on craigslist without telling me and when they couldnt get rid of him without me knowing they said they were going to kill him. They did the same thing with my ducks and geese. So thats why this turkey is so special to me... I lost half my family protecting him and will do my best to make him live as long as possible. And since he moved he has liked my siblings. And you know why my aunt was evil to him and teased him.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  8. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR

9. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    He sounds like a really cool turkey. Your a good man Holm!

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

More like kid lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by