A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Aurora I do not remember seeing the pictures Ron posted, So I have to ask, Is that one Tom a rusty slate?

I did not know you had any, but he has the rust/red/brown on his tail. I think.

I think they are Slates of some kind Ron. Post a picture of your's and someone here will tell you. We have a couple very knowledgeable people on here. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

Lol, sometimes I can be quick haha! I don't focus too much on those two boys since they will both be processed here in a couple weeks for thanksgiving. They were the only slates that we hatched and both turned out to be boys so they get to be the guests of honor this year. Then, Adam will be taking over the flock ;)

I have had chickens in my house, but only for a few days while sick or injured.  I have babies in the house for a couple days when they hatch.

LOL So do I, want my turkeys to lay eggs where I can find them. Good luck on that!

Good luck getting them into a trailer, unless they are being fed in there, they will most likely NOT walk right in.   I force mine into a coop every evening, If I try too early, they do not go in. If I try too late they refuse to go in.   I need to hit the time just right and then I still have to convince them every night to go inside.

I know what you mean on the turkeys. They are still couping with the chickens. . Two pullets one cockrell, one almost 4 month Tom and his two sisters. . A dangerous combination when the turkeys get much older I'm afraid. . I need to build them there own.
I noticed, if I go out when the chickens go in, I just have to make sure the chickens let them in and back off for them to go in on their own.

My Turkeys and chickens are together all the time. If I pick up a hen and it squawks a Tom will come to it's defense as fast as a Rooster will.

I try to not separate mine too much. They seem to get along fine.

I live on sand so the chances of Blackhead are remote.

I caught my turkeys napping..
Can anyone tell me what kind they are?

I'm thinking the one on the left is the only tom. They are going on 4 months old. I could be wrong on that too... idk... first time with turkeys... Tom, curly, and larry... it was more but Tom fits better I think..

The one on the left is definitely a Tom.

He is a Blue Slate. you can tell by the Blue/black spots on him. He looks like a nice bird. Try to get us a picture of him standing. I am not sure what the other one is, the picture was not as good of it. It does seem to have blue coloring but I would not bet on it.

Do not over worry breeding brothers and sisters. Just make sure the offspring you keep to breed are a confirmation you want. And if it drools and runs into the walls, Sell it to a Newbie as a Clown breed.

OOps I did not even see the black one in the background, We really need a better picture of it..

I only found it when I thought about Larry, Curly and Moe and was wondering why it wasn't Laurel and Hardy.. I looked again and saw him.

Here is a better picture of Larry. Tom is eating to the right of her, I think her..
All three came from the same 6 eggs. My chicken, Brownie, hatched them. Four white and two black.
Five hatched, one vanished while they were free range about week three.. Another died one day in the cage at about week 8. It just laid down, curled up to sleep and never moved again. Brownie was frantic.

Here is a better picture of Curly. She got her name because she walks curling the toes of one foot.
That and they all three act like stooges... no walking in walls or drooling though.
Her whole leg and foot was really bad at about 8 weeks. I wrapped it. She kept it on for a couple days and seemed to be better... not perfect but better.

Does anyone provide a heater for their poultry? We got into the low 40's last night and the girls didn't seem too happy this morning.

Last year, I tried a light with my chickens, it kept them up and you could tell they were cranky with each other the next day.
I closed the door in the floor and put it under.
I also had an electric tape I used on my water on my rv when I was stationed in Missouri my last hitch.
Put it in the hay under them. I didn't stay in there so I don't know, but they stopped being cranky.

Back
Top Bottom