A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Huh...don't know what rock I've been under but I just noticed the "House Chicken " thread. Had no idea people had chickens living loose in their homes. I can't even imagine.

2. RanchDressin

RanchDressin New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    So if I want these turkey hens to lay eggs where I can see and know, should I have a coop for them? I'm not sure how to change their ways of roosting at night. My next chore is to see if I can get them into a trailer so we can have them processed for Thanksgiving. Any suggestions on how to choose which we will take? Largest? Hen or Tom? Thx for input

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have had chickens in my house, but only for a few days while sick or injured. I have babies in the house for a couple days when they hatch.

LOL So do I, want my turkeys to lay eggs where I can find them. Good luck on that!

Good luck getting them into a trailer, unless they are being fed in there, they will most likely NOT walk right in. I force mine into a coop every evening, If I try too early, they do not go in. If I try too late they refuse to go in. I need to hit the time just right and then I still have to convince them every night to go inside.

1 person likes this.
  4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph, I've had sick or injured chickens in the house too. These birds live in houses full time. Just didn't realize folks did that....

Yeah...I've had issues trying to get the turkey girls lay in nests. Daisy does seem to use the lean-to in the pen. Annie will just drop it anywhere in the pen. If she happens to be free ranging and has to lay she crams herself in a chicken nest box.

Annie is pretty casual about laying. Daisy is a huge drama queen. Lots of pacing & futsing. If she is free ranging I usually just put her back in the pen. If I don't she tends to want to jump fences. She has PES...Pre Egg Syndrome! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Both girls are still laying. I have their eggs in the hands of my expert baking friends. Anxiously awaiting their reviews. I'm curious if they really make that much of a difference in baked goods.

6. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    Those light looking turkeys look a lot like mine but older, what kind are they?

7. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    Well... ;-)
    She is the prettiest hen I have hatched, and I think if I had left her out, she would be gone.
    I don't have but 7 chickens left so I can't spare to loose any.
    I have one hen laying daily, one that hasn't released her almost 4 month old pullet, so she ain't laying, one sitting on eggs, and one that lays about every other day.. and a cockrell. .
    I lay newspaper down where she is outside the cage and she sits in her cage alot.
    I think she will make a great broody.

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Able is a blue slate and Cupid is a rusty slate.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Aurora I do not remember seeing the pictures Ron posted, So I have to ask, Is that one Tom a rusty slate?

I did not know you had any, but he has the rust/red/brown on his tail. I think.

I think they are Slates of some kind Ron. Post a picture of your's and someone here will tell you. We have a couple very knowledgeable people on here. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Answered before I asked, Thanks LOL LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by