A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Congratulations on the large flock moving in :) The one in this picture kind of looks like a bronze to me, but I'm far from being an expert! I agree with Memphis, Porter's website has great pictures to help you get an idea what you may have. That's where I figured out that what I was sold as a narragansett was actually a bronze. He's my first turkey and I didn't care what color he was - but it was nice to be able to have pictures that I could compare him to. There are lots of experts on here that will probably be able to help identify if you post pictures of the different colors in the group.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I think my turkeys are laying more than my chickens right now. What up...i didnt expect them to lay into November.

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Math to my turkeys - two little puffs outweigh one big puff :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Not the best pictures but the best i could get first thing this morning. To get an estimate of how big he is, this big brooder is 4 ft x 6 ft x 3 ft high. I did manage to get him to nibble a couple bites of corn out of my hands this morning but it took some convincing and me crouching inside the brooder with him lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    No selfie with your new friend ?
    That would be quite the hit on FB.

1 person likes this.
  6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I'm getting there lol. I have to wait until I have hubby there to help me in case he decides to try to escape lol

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty. ..can those little guys puff any bigger! Too cute. :D

Aurora, he's a big boy. What is that sitting on top of the brooder? I couldn't tell, but it sort of looked like a ROSTING PAN! No wonder he's freaked out. :lol:

Remember I plucked Daisy out of rush hour traffic & Annie was running wild in a field. Neither of them seemed to have much experience with people. I spent a lot of time (hours) just sitting in their pen in a chair working on my laptop. Casually handing them treats. We all had to get used to each other. Now of course they are lap turkeys. Guess it was a matter of developing trust. Or something like that. I was scared the first time I let them out to free range. But they just hung with me. Now all I need to do is call them & they will come back to the coop. They are good girls. :)

I'm no expert, but that's what worked for me.

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie..drink up that exotic coffee & try the turkey calculator! Looks like you can get some interesting & colorful Penguin babies!!

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I wish I could. I am performing Grandpa Daycare duties today, so I am stuck in the inner burbs of Minneapolis and not with my coffee or my birds.

I just made coffee, the exotic coffee in my sons house is Folgers. I thought I raised him better than that. I guess I am lucky to have any coffee.

I am amazed you people find turkeys just walking around looking for new homes.

Maybe I should pack Penguin a bag and get him bus fare..

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    My sympathy on the Foldgers.

I can work the calculator on my android.

Yeah....what up with the wandering turkeys? Did you see that one person had a flock of 17 just show up? How does that happen?

Penguin can set sail down the Mississippi, I'll pick him up here in Memphis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by