A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Some get a bit mixed up. The turkey hens I hatched in Feb and March started laying on August and are still laying like crazy. They seem to be better layers than the chicken hens!

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Oddly my two hens are still laying too. I didn't expect they'd still be at it in November!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have no hens laying eggs, but I live near the artic circle, or closer than you do anyways.

More Turkey Pictures:

This is one of the lavenders/self blues, I think,.
    [​IMG]
    This is Ethel Jr. She is not identical in color but has her face and smile.
    [​IMG]
    The Tom here is one of my self blue like turkeys with the sandy overtones. Whatever that is called.
    [​IMG]
    Same turkey different view
    [​IMG]

I thin this is a red, the IPhone did not get the subtle redness well.
    [​IMG]
    Penguin and the red one.
    [​IMG]
    I tried to get Penguins shimmer, not sure I succeeded.
    [​IMG]
    This is a strange looking turkey that wanted into the pictures, no wings and 4 legs.
    [​IMG]
    This is the real Ethel surrounded by her babies.
    [​IMG]
    Couple self blues and the dog.
    [​IMG]
    JJ the lavenders and the dogs.
    [​IMG]

4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Ralph - I love the pictures! I would love to see what the "sandy colored" turkeys have for offspring - they are really pretty. Penguin still looks kind of like the Rusty Black on Porter's to me - he's such a nice-looking boy (you should take him on your road trip and drop him off to Memphis to make her girls happy lol). Ethel and JJ are beautiful birds and I think it is so neat how many color babies they produce. I want a flock like that!

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph, those are beautiful birds! I agree, the "sandy" ones are interesting. Is Penguin the only dark turkey? He does shimmer in the light!!

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I had one other, but I thought it was a bronze and not black like penguin, but she was taken by critter for a snack.

I went to porters and looked, I think he is a rusty black also. Can you tell me what babies he can make?

Next year I will keep the unusual ones under cover until they are a LOT bigger and most predators ignore them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. RanchDressin

RanchDressin New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    I really don't know what is "wild" I'm pretty sure they are domestic[​IMG]

8. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

That calculator is a mystery to me - I can't wait to see what he might make for babies (hopefully someone who knows how to use the darn thing will tell us :lol: ). Some of his markings look faintly like Turkules (bronze) but he is definitely more black and I think he's really beautiful with his shimmery colors.

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ok, Penguin. ..assuming he is a rusty black, bred to a Bourbon Red would produce:

Barred Black
    Bourbon Red
    Bronze
    Red Bronze
    Rusty Black
    Semi-Jersey Buff

I got lost trying to pick out through correct blue. There are a bunch of different types. Things like resesive slates, self blue, etc.....not sure which to choose.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Okay...the calculator isn't hard. Try this:

Go to the main calculator page.

There is a box that says "Quick Reference for Phenotypes & Genotypes". Click the box and find the type of both your male & female. There are pictures of all types. Write down the "code" for each color. It's typically four letters. For instance Penguin is "Br Rr". A Bourbon Red is "bb Rr". Write down the color code for each bird.

Now go to the calculator.

At the top of the page there is a box for male & one for female. There is a series of pull down boxes. Little grey boxes with little arrows.

So for Penguin. ...you would go to the Grey box that shows "B's"....hit the arrow and find the "Bb" line & tap the circle. That's only half of his Genotype. You the go to the R box and find the Rr line & tap that circle. The Penguins picture will pop up and you go do the same for the female.

After you enter her code letters, hit calculate.

Okay...assuming this makes sense...try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by